Chapter 9

My eyes flutter open from my little nap and I find myself still in Caleb's arms. Now that I feel emotionally stable, I find there is only one word for this situation: awkward.

I catch a glimpse of something wet on his grey shirt. It is either dribble or tears. Judging by my puffy eyes I am going to guess the latter. Nevertheless, it is still embarrasing. Hopefully he won't see it.

I shuffle away and he notices that I am awake. Quickly he massages his arm - the one I slept on. Of course, he has probably got pins and needles. I can't help but feel guilty.

"Why didn't you wake me?" my voice is still hoarse from sleep.
"You look cute when you sleep," he teases. My eyes widen. He did not say that, did he. I furrow my eyebrows and roll my eyes. Time to change the conversation. Dramatically I flip my hair,
"I am always cute," I say over dramatically.
"Certainly," he sarcastically exclaims.

"Have you heard Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift?" I ask randomly.
"No," he grumbles.
"Sorry by Justin Bieber?"
"No,"
"Hello by Adele?"
"No,"
"Seriously! What are you doing with your life?" I screech disgustedly.
"Planning a rebellion," he mutters under his breath.

I don't really want to start a fight with him so I let it slide. Anyway he doesn't actually mean it. He seems ok - well not bad enough to start a rebellion.

Suddenly I am not thinking about Caleb anymore. I am thinking about my mother. Oh, how they must be frantically searching the world for me. My father frets over me if I trip over, he is probably going crazy now.

"Can I take a walk? Please!" I beseech him.
"Don't leave this road then," he says through gritted teeth.
"Thanks, you are amazing," I jump.

The warm spring air hits my skin. I love spring and not because my birthday is in spring. I love the flowers, animals and the feeling of rebirth after destruction. My life is like the seasons. The bitter winter when my mum died. The destruction my dad caused. Then 3 years later in spring I was sent to the orphanage. After, the awful winter when Noah arrived. But next spring I was with the King and Queen.

The perfect example of nothing lasts forever.

I have my regrets. The demons that lurk within me. The voices in my head. Sometimes I think I am crazy. But I'm not. I am just a girl who was forced to grow so fast.

Lost in my thoughts I didn't even realise the two masked men behind me. Were they following me?
You don't know because you weren't concentrating, idiot.
I turn four lefts and the men were still behind me. My doubt was cleared because I walked in a circle.

Rapidly I sprint. Down the road I can see the building I was held hostage in it. Never did I think that I would ever run back here. But desperate times calls for desperate measures.

The men are fast, too fast. Just as I am about to enter the building I feel a large hand on me. I scream. A cloth is being held to my nose as I begin to inhale it everything become dark. Before I am completely knocked out I spot him. The same man from my dreams.

He wrestles both the men to the floor and effortlessly knocks them unconsious.
"Don't ever touch her," he spits maliciously.

Before I fall into a slumber I see him. His green eyes. His brown hair. His smile.

Caleb...