Chapter 38

Caleb's POV

In the coolness of the night, I wake myself up from my rigid and dreadful sleep and pull out simple clothes. A black t-shirt with skin tight jeans. I throw on a jumper, the last thing I need is to freeze. I stock the car with food, weapons, medicine, water, and clothes.

"Meredith," I whisper shaking her awake.
"Is Roxy back?" her voice shakes.
"No, I-I'm going on a journey to save Arianna, she's the princess," I inform her.
"Arianna, can she be my new sister?" she asks.
"Yes, but I don't know what's going to happen. I might not even come back," he says in a hushed tone.

"Please come back and stay alive," she clasps onto me.
"If I don't come back, I want you to know that I will always love you and Roxanne," I kiss her on the cheek.
"I love you Caleb," she giggles.

My baby sister, who was always so little. The ray of sunshine on my bleak and bitter life. The girl that represented rebirth after destruction. She was the one who could tame my abusive father, the one who got us away from home safely and the one I will always protect.

Stepping lightly on the ground, I walk briskly through the empty hallways until I get outside to the car. I am met by the watchful eye of my best friend Jalen, he stands poised to fight and fully armed. I position myself in the driver's seat and I start speeding down the freeway.

"So what's the plan?" Jalen says nonchalantly.
"Well it'll be fully armed so I don't exactly know yet," I trail off.
"You don't know?" Jalen asks in disbelieve.
"We always work best when we improvise," I shrug and end the conversation.

Reaching forward I turn the radio on and put the volume up.

I don't know where I'm going but I know it's gonna be a long time,
I'll be leaving in the morning come the white-wined bitter sunlight.

I don't know where I'm going, or what I'll do there or even the plan when I get there. I'm leaving early in the morning at dawn as the white sunlight creeps into the sky.

Wanna hear your beating heart tonight,
Before the bleeding sun comes alive,
I want to make the best of what is left, hold tight
And hear my beating heart one last time.
Before daylight.

I want to put my head on Arianna, listening to her heart beating, knowing that she's alive and well. I want her now and not tommorow - my patience is wearing thin. We both have very limited lifelines and I want to spend my time trying to be with her. How does every song fit with my emotions right now?

"Stop! What the hell?" Jalen curses. Immediately I slam my foot onto the brakes and the car comes to a sudden halt, jerking us forward.

"What the hell are you doing on the road?" I shout at the young girl who is walking with very rigid steps. She is dressed in a satin, white robe. She looks like a royal but what would a royal be doing here?

"Please don't hurt me," she steps into view and her face is full of determination.
"Who are you?" I ask.
"My name is Sam Lyons. I was sent by a friend to go to this insurgent base but I'm lost and my carriage was ambushed. I'm cold and I don't know where I am." She sobs slightly.

"What was your mission with this Insurgent Base?" I ask.
"I was told to find Jalen Styles. Do you know him?" she asks timidly.
"I'm here," Jalen answers.
"You are Jalen?" she asks.
"Yes," he says.

"Oh my goodness! My friend Princess Arianna sent me to tell Jalen that she is alive in the palace dungeon," she whispers.
"She's alive," I gasp.
"Yes, who might you be?" she looks at me quizzically.
"Did she not mention me? I'm Caleb," I answer.
"Oh, she said something about a Caleb but she said he was dead," the girl replies.

She thinks I'm dead. My love thinks I'm dead. Fear not darling, I'm coming.

"Will you help me rescue her?" I ask the girl.
"My loyalty lies with my princess and I'll do anything to save her," the girl answers.
"Good, we're going to the palace now," I say. Quickly I yank open the car door and buckle in. Simultaenously, Jalen and Sam copy me.

I'm coming for you Arianna.

----------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:-

Eeeeeppp he's coming for her. Awwww this is so cute. I just want to tell everyone whats going to happen but i can't and it's killing me. Well stay tuned.

Is it bad that I keep switching POVs?

QOTD- What do you like best about this book?

AOTD- The characters, they feel real for me. IDK

Vote and comment. See you next time.