Chapter 35

Arianna's POV

The grumbling in my stomach reminds me of my growing starvation. The tickling in my throat highlights my dehydration and need for water. My bones are rigid and cramped from this uncomfortable position. My wounds and cuts are agonizingly painful and I'm terrified that I will die from a wound infection.

"Don't be cowards and face me," I screech.
"Shhh," a voice coming down the stairs says. Narrowing my eyes to figure out who this person is; it hits me. My best friend - Sam. I don't know where her loyalties are but she's here so that should be a good sign.

"Sam," I whisper.
"Selena saw you. She sent me down with food and bandages. I couldn't bring lots otherwise they would be suspicion," she says fast and hushed.
"Can I trust you?" I ask.
"Yes, we're your best friends and I've risked my life by coming down here. We're with you," she says looking over her shoulder.

"I need a favour, there's an insurgent base. I need you to go to them. Tell them I'm alive and I'm being held hostage. Don't trust anyone there except Caleb - no he's dead. Ask for a Jalen Styles and tell him," I say rapidly.
"I need to go or I'll get caught but Selena will come down tommorrow," she hurries up the stairs.

Thank you Sam and Selena. I slump back down to the insect infected floor and apply the burn ointment, antiseptic and wrap bandages around my wounds. I pull my sleeves down and hide any trace of the bandages behind a loose brick.

Now for the food. As much as I want to devour it in few bites, I contain myself. Forcing myself I sit down and have small bites making sure to chew very slowly. When I have relished on the food I take sips from the water bottle but make sure to save some for later. I hide it behind a loose brick in the wall.

Feeling slightly replenished I slump down, sitting crossed leg on the floor. As if by que I hear the shuffling of guards and the queens usual clicking high heels. I gulp down any trace of fear and paint on a poker face.

"Arianna, there's always a chance for you to redeem yourself. Just tell us what you know about the insurgents." She smiles sweetly.
"You'd have to beat me, break me, burn me and put me through pain past human endurance and even then I wouldn't ever tell you," I grit my teeth infuriatingly.
"I never knew you were so strong-willed," she patronises.
"Maybe because I was always walking on egg shells to please you," I shout.

"Mhmm, never mind. If you won't talk I'll have to torture it out of you," she says.
"You're bluffing," I state.
"Am I? Guards!" she calls.

Two fully armoured guards appear at the cell door. Stepping forward they handcuff my hands behind my back and cuff my feet together. The queen steps out the cell and locks me in with two giant soldiers.

"There is always time," she says.
"Go to hell," I screech.
"Guards, go ahead," she states whilst walking out.

The first guard places his baton in heated coals and swipes it across my back. I fall to the ground instantly and shriek in pain. The searing sensation dies down making my back tingly. The second guard twists my arms and strokes them up and down harshly. My voice is hoarse from screaming and after endless hours of agony. It stops. Everything stops.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:-

Ok so I have a question:

Is the pacing of this book ok?
Is it going to fast?
Should I slow it down?

Anyway hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Vote and comment