Chapter 13

As if on que, there is a knock on the door. I open it to reveal Caleb grinning like a child. Good to see he is in a better mood. He steps in and offers me a rose. Politely I accept it eventhough I prefer primrose flowers.

"Whoa, you look amazing," he exclaims looking me up and down. Uncomfortable I shift slightly and Caleb seems to get the message.
"Well, I want to give a good impression," I say poshly.
"More like wrong impression," he mutters. Mortified I hide the red in my cheeks. That is demeaning. Now I just want to put pyjamas on and watch T.V.

Caleb holds my hand tightly and whispers into my ear,
"Do you still have the knife?"
"Yes," I reply.
"Here," he thrusts a gun into my hand and I slot it under my dress so no one can see it. Caleb puts one finger to his lip signaling for me to not tell anyone.

I trot to the dining room; dreading every step I take. After a 5 minute walk, we are outside a huge, wooden door. I brace myself for the horror. Caleb pushes open the door and confidently strides in the room with dominance, even a blind man could tell that he was the leader. I walk in as posh as I can; I recall everything my mother has taught me about posture and gait.

Subtly I glance around and realise every eye is on me. The young childen hide behind their mothers, mothers hide their fear and men glare at me with all their might. I always thought I was a lovable person but I was terribly wrong. Caleb goes straight to the stage and stands behind the microphone. I find myself scurrying behind him consequently I am stood facing the people who despise me.

"Insurgents, today stood before you is your weapon. This very weapon will help us bring down the torture that the royals impose upon us. This is Princess Arianna and she is on our side!" Caleb's voice echoes in the dining room.

I don't remember choosing sides and sides between who. The royals and the insurgents? The family that raised me and gave me everything or my childhood sweetheart. How am I a weapon? I am stood here like a frail deer, I am clearly no help. Anyway, I can't betray my family.

"Will you work with us?" Caleb asks still on the microphone. I know what he expects me to say but I say the opposite.
"No," I mutter.

In an instant every person in the room has a gun pointed at me. I go with my gut and reach under my dress. I yank out the gun, which I recognise as a colt 36, and aim it straight at Caleb's heart.