Epilogue (Part 1)

The golden crown from my head is lifted leaving me with a tingly but secure feeling; it's placed on the head of the future monarch - my heir. Meredith.

After Caleb died, Meredith had no one and I couldn't let another person feel the pain I felt. So I took her in. Raised her as my own. We both had trouble coping, sleeping at night and carrying on with our lives. I mended Meredith, we mended each other. Meredith is happy now. She has a husband, who loves her immensly, she has her first child - a girl. Little Roxy. Everyone seems to have picked themselves up from the war.

Those years, after the war, were known as the bittersweet years where the nation grieved over our losses and promised ourselves that we would never get to the edge of destruction again. But, we humans have a natural gift of self-destruction and in the future, when the sweet serenade that we are currently living in is over, somebody will put power before humanity and war will scream out.

We do something for the greater good, we loose someone for the benefit of the future but at the end of the day is it worth the pain; knowing that our descendants will mess it all up.

For fifteen years, I've been waiting for Meredith to come of age so I can finally break the bind that connects me with the past King and Queen. For fifteen years, I've been alone. I do find peace with baby Roxy. She has Meredith's green eyes - which are the same as Caleb's. I look at her and I see Caleb. I see the child that could've been mine and Caleb's, we would've been perfect parents.

I miss Caleb so much. Somedays I can barely breath and it all comes back in flashes like snaps of a photograph. Somedays I sink to my knees and scream until my voice is hoarse. Somedays the guilt comsumes me until I become insane. Somedays I feel nothing.

Life gets better. You never really recover but somehow you find a way to catch your breath again and find the floor. I find solace in dreaming - pretending to be living a life I'm not really living. On the worst days, when I wake up screaming I relive every beautiful moment I've ever witnessed. My mum. My date with Caleb. Jalen giving his life for me and Caleb. Sam and Selena.

Everybodies happy. But there is a piece of me so distant that's refraining me from being my old self. Time won't fly it's like I'm paralyzed by it. Everyday I watch the sun rise and sink back down, counting the days as they pass. Trying to figure out how long it'll take to feel alright again.

Picking up the pieces, one by one, and putting myself back together. I'll forget the sadness long enough to forget why I needed to. Nothing lasts forever. One day, one sweet day no matter how long it takes I will feel truly happy again.

Even in this scary, broken world there is light at the end of the road...

---------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:-

There is one more chapter left. This chapter was so sad, I cried so much. Is anyone else crying?

Stay tuned for epilogue part 2 I'll put it up next week sometime.

Vote and Comment.