Chapter 39

Caleb's POV

Sitting rigidly still, I drive the car at an unimaginably high speed. Intently I focus on the road to stop my mind wandering to Arianna. Has she eaten? Is she healthy?

"Sam, what's Arianna been like?" I succumb to my will.
"She's been tortured but that girl is one heck of a fighter," Sam answer.
"If there is one scathe on her, I'll bloody kill everyone," I feel my anger rising. I bite my tongue before I fly into a rage.

After 3 hours of a long, brutal journey, I park the car a walking.distance away from the castle. The scorching sun reaches it's peak which indicates that it's around midday.

"How do we get in?" I ask Sam.
"There's no way you could get in through the main entrance but there's a secret passage around the back. I don't think the king and queen know about it," She tells me.
"Why not?" I question.
"When we were children, Arianna got mad and threw a brick at a window and it smashed. We didn't want to tell the king and queen so we made it our passage," she laughs at the memory.

Staying very close, we walk down the road and take two rights. The familiar sandy coloured castle comes into view and I feel a slight churn in my stomach. I'm so close to Arianna yet so far away.

"What now?" Jalen asks.
"The entrance is at the back but to get to the back there will probably be like four guards on duty," she says.
"We need to keep this quiet to not alert anyone so let's take our chances," I say.

Sam leads us to a broken fence and we slip into the land of the royals. With silent steps and beating hearts, we heave ourselves up a wall and jump to the ground. We are in the castle. Silently and swiftly, the three of us walk towards the back.

"A guard," Sam whispers.
I put my finger to my lips indicating to be quiet. Having a wall to block us from view, I punch the guard hard on the head, rendering him unconsious. That was easy.

We make our way to the hidden entrance, when a guard spots us. Before any of us have the time to react a knife sinks itself into the guards chest.
"Learnt that one from Arianna," Jalen smirks.

I step into the castle and Sam points left. I begin walking. Sam leads us down a huge stairwell and into the dungeon. My heart pounds in my chest. Please be alright.

"She was supposed to be here," Sam gasps looking into an empty cell.
"What do you mean?" I whisper.

Another girl about the same age as Arianna rushes down the stairs with tear stained eyes.
"You're too late. She's being hung now," the girl sobs.

No! I have not risked everything to loose her now. My legs step infront of each other until I find myself running. Through corridors, past guards and breaking antiques with one thought. I have to save her.

When I get outside into the courtyard, I squint through the sunlight. I make out a crowd of people, an execution stand and Arianna. Sprinting forward, I am only metres away from her.

The trap door opens and she falls with a screeching yelp.

------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:-

Ahhhhhhhhhh what has happened? She has 'fallen'.

Summary of the chapter"

Sam helps Caleb and Jalen break in, Arianna's being hunged, Caleb runs to see her and Arianna gets 'hung'.

The ending is nearer, I estimate they will be six more chapters.

I'm rethinking the way I want it to end. There's two ways but I'm not sure yet. I'll decide.

Vote and comment.
Buh bye
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx