t h r e e

My alarm blares at 7am, scaring the shit out of me. I knock the beeping clock onto the floor, groaning as I sit up. It takes me a few minutes to realise that today is Monday, and the day I start my new job.

I leap out of my bed, rushing to the bathroom. I shower quickly and blowdry my hair, letting it fall in loose brown waves down my shoulders. I put on eye liner and mascara, not trying to over-do it for my first day. I go to my closet and oull out dark blue skinny jeans, a white long-sleeved blouse and black pumps. Deciding that I look good enough, I grab my bag and lock the front door behind me.

I get into my car, I actually only just bought it and I am so in love with it. It's a beautiful baby blue mini cooper with two white stripes down the middle. Ugh, so beautiful. The drive to Capitol Records is short, and I mentally thank myself for picking an apartment that is so close.

I park my car and walk up to the large glass doors. I take the elevator to the seventh floor and walk into the commodious area, making my way to the reception desk.

"Good morning, you must be Miss Andrews," a woman greets me. She would only be about 35, with shoulder-lenghth light brown hair and bright blue eyes.

"Hi," I greet her. Reading the plaque on her desk, I relize this is the woman I spoke to on the phone yesterday. Andrea Hale.

"I shall let Mr Connery know you're her," she smiles at me. After she rings Mr Connery and speaks with him for a few minutes, explaining the situation, she hands me a manila folder. "Mr Connery put aside these lyrics for you to edit the other day, I think there is about 8 songs in there."

A few minutes later, a man about the age of 40 comes out, wearing dress pants and a blazer. He sticks his hand out for me to shake, and I gladly accept it.

"Alaska Andrews, nice to meet you, I'm Augustus Connery," He says as I shake his hand,

"Come with me and I'll show you to your workspace," he says. I nod and follow him to the back corner of the seventh floor.

"Over there is accounting," He says, pointing to a bunch of about 15-20 desks to the side. "Your desk will be bordering the accounting department." I nod, and listen acrefully as he explains all the other jobs on this floor. He finally finishes talking a while later and turns to face me. "You will be expected to read and edit 30 songs a week, and write about 5 every month. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your work, Miss Andrews." He smiles, before walking away.

I sit down at the desk I was just assigned, opening the folder I was given earlier and placing the contents around my desk.

At the desk across from mine is a boy about my age. He has slightly darker skin, maybe he is from New Zealand? I also see a nice bird tatto on his arm, and some roman numerals peeking out the top of his black dress shirt. His dark hair is styled into a messy quiff, and his dark brown eyes are cast down onto the piece of paper he is currently writing on.

I clear my throat and he looks up, his chocolate eyes meeting mine as he smiles.

"Hi," He says kindly, "You must be new here?"

I nod, "I'm Alaska," I tell him.

His eyebrows raise, an amused expression playing on his face. "Cool name," He smiles, "I'm Calum. Well, welcome to Capitol Records I guess," He says.

"Thanks," I smile back at him.

"See that guy over there?" He asks, pointing towards a man a bit older than us with light brown hair. I nod, and he continues, "Thats Marcus." Next, he points to a girl with short blonde hair and blue eyes, "That's Annie." He says, and I nod. So now I guess I know the names of all my 'neighbours'.

"Guys," Calum says, and both of their heads shoot upwards to look at us. "This is Alaska."

"Hi," Annie says, "Nice to meet you," She smiles, and Marcus just nods along, not really caring.

After that, Calum continues to tell me all the names of my co-workers. I am never going to remember all these, there are just so many!

"And over there is accounting," He says, pointing to the same spot Mr Connery showed me earlier, "And that is Matilda and Lleyton," He says.

I notice a seat directly across from mine, "Who sits there?"

His eyes follow to where I'm looking and he just shrugs, "Dont worry about him, he's just late. As usual."

"Oh okay, well thanks for the rundown." I smile at him, about to start working on my first song.

"Hey I'm not finished yet!" He fake pouts, of god thats cute. "C'mon, there's only three more worth introducing you to," he smirks and I just roll my eyes at him. "That is Skylar, Amanda and Blake."

"Calum here has been chasing Skylar for almost a year now," Says Marcus, and Calum's cheeks go bright red. Skylar has brown ombré hair that falls in ringlets, coming out of her pony tail. She is very beautiful, and I can see why Calum likes her.

"Well, that's really all you need to know newbie," Calum smiles, and I thank him.

About half an hour later, I hear some rustling at the desk across from mine. I look up, and immediately freeze as I see the familiar blue eyes staring back at me.