t h i r t y s i x

I look at Luke with confusion. "What?"

Luke crosses his arms across his chest. "In the organisation, I work closest with Ashton, Calum and Michael. It has been two years now, and there has been more than one time where we've thought of..." He pauses, clearing his throat. "Where we've thought of rebellion."

"Rebellion?" I ask. He must be crazy.

"If we can turn on Drew, he might back down and let us go without a trace. We won't turn him in if he doesn't turn us in," Luke sighs. "But there's aways those idiots who think it's a horrible idea."

"Who?" 

"Maddii and Jamie; those two who were practically dry humping when we were playing poker."

I look at my lap. "Why did you become involved with these people?" I ask. 

Luke tenses. "I was at a shitty point in my life" he says. "And I had no choice."

My phone suddenly goes off, startling us both.

I bring the phone to my ear and answer it. "Hello?"

"Alaska, Alaska, Alaska," Tyler slurs on the other line.

"Ty, are you drunk?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion. 

"No... no I'm noooot," he says, and then bursts into laughter.

" I thought you were at work? You told me you were at work."

"I always tell you that I'm at work."

Ouch.

"So you've been lying to me?" I ask, and Luke looks at me confusedly.

"Well, yeah, you're really gullible," he says and I hang up, anger coursing through me. 

My skin is hot with rage as I try to take calming breaths that really don't do much to calm me down. All this time he's been lying to me.

I look over at Luke. For a minute, I actually forgot he was there. He pulls something out of his pocket and I almost laugh and cry at the same time when I realise it's a mars bar.

"Do you carry those everywhere?" I ask.

"Pretty much," he says, breaking it in half and giving some to me. "They keep my stress levels down." He looks at me. "Unlike you."

I roll my eyes at him, stifling a laugh. 

We eat our chocolate in silence, staring out  at the city. 

"What are you going to do?" Luke asks.

"I don't know. I really need to talk to him, though. Sober."

"Lunch break is over in five," Luke says, looking at the time on him phone.

I nod and stand, following him down the stairs and back into the elevator. This is actually one of the only times Luke and I have had a civilised conversation; well, maybe the topic wasn't so civil, but at least we weren't fighting the whole time.

I'm dying to know why Luke started working for Drew, but I can't pry. I've pried so much already, and I know if I try to dig deeper now, Luke will only get more mad. 

We walk back into our office complex, and I sit down at my desk. I notice I have a voicemail on my phone. I'm surprised to see it's from my mother.

"Hi Alaska, I'm just ringing to check up on you. And I have something to ask you, so call me back. Bye!"

I dial her number quickly, leaning back in my chair. 

"Hello?"

"Hi Mum, it's Alaska. I got your call."

"Oh, hi! How are you, Allie?" 

"I'm fine," I say, ignoring the nickname. "You?"

"Alright, I suppose. Anyway, your father and I were wondering if you would like to come down to Perth for the weekend?"

"Oh," I pause. "Is Elise going to be there?"

"Yes... Elise will be here."

"Mum, I don't--"

"Please, Allie. I know it's difficult, but your father and I would really like for you to come down. And, as for your sister--"

"Doesn't give a shit about me," I finish. I feel Luke's eyes on me from his desk.

"You know that's not true," my mother says. "She loves you--"

"She hates me, everyone knows it. Enough with the pretending."

My mother sighs. "Fine. If you don't want to come up just because of your sister, then fine."

I sigh, rubbing my temples. "All right," I say. "Fine."

I can practically hear my mother's smile through the phone. "Wonderful. We'll see you this weekend. Love you."

The line goes dead. 

I hang up and put my head in my hands. Why the hell did I just agree to that?

How am I going to face my sister? I haven't seen her since... well, since the incident.

"Alaska."

I look up and lock eyes with Luke. 

His eyes are filled with concern, something I barely see in him. I wave him off and look down at the polished wood of my desk. I don't feel like dealing with anyone when it comes to my family. Five o'clock rolls around and I gather my things to leave.

"Alaska," I look up to see Mr Connery leaning against the doorframe of his office. "Could I speak with you for a minute?"

"Is something wrong?" I ask, walking up to him.

"No, not at all," he says. "I just noticed you were a little distracted today. Everything alright?"

I nod quickly. "Yeah, just fine. I'm sorry, I just haven't been getting much sleep."

"Of course. I'm no stranger to insomnia, myself. I just wanted to make sure everything was alrught."

"Yes, well, thankyou," I say. I'm g;ad Mr Connery is such a kind and compassionate boss.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow," he says with a big smile as he strides back into his office. 

I make my way out of the building and into the parking lot, my coat draped over my arm. My hair falls in it's usual waves, but I know it's disheveled from my fingers running through it over and over again. 

I fumble for my keys in my bag and almost scream when I look up to see Luke leaning against my car.

"Jesus," I say, breathing out, my heart pounding loudly in my chest.

"Nope, just me," he smiles cheekily, and I smack his chest playfully. 

"Sorry," he says and I look back into my bag, continuing to look for my keys. "Are you okay?" 

The question is so out of character for Luke, I have to do a doube take. "Uh, yeah," I say. "yeah."

"Who called you?" 

"What does it matter?"

Luke raises his eyebrows. "Look, it was just a question, Allie," he says defensively. 

"Well, you shouldn't care," I sanp.

"What's going on with you?" He asks.

"What's going on with you?"

Luke narrows his eyes at me before turning around and stalking off to his car across the lot.