f o u r

None other than my moody neighbour Luke drops his belongings onto the desk directly across from mine. 

Mr Connery steps out of his office, a disapproving look on his face. 

"Hemmings," he says as he walks up to Luke. "Your late. Again."

"So?" Luke asks, sitting down at his desk.

"So, that's the sixth time this month! You better shape up, or we will start looking for a new accountant to replace you!" Mr Connery snaps.

Luke just rolls his eyes, "Say whatever you want. But we both know that I'm the best accountant here."

"I can still fire you," Mr Connery warns.

"Alright, wel give me a call when you grow the balls to do so,"  Luke smirks, causing all the employees to cover their mouths so they don't laugh. 

"Watch it, Hemmings," Mr Connery says through gritted teeth, storming back into his office. 

"Good one," Calum laughs, patting Luke on the back. His eyes land on me and his face instantly contorts to an annoyed expression. 

"Hi," I smile, trying to be friendly.

Luke clenches his jaw, "Newbie, huh?" He asks, turning to Calum. 

Calum nods his head, "This is Alaska."

"I know," Luke speaks coldly, "We've already met."

Calum shifts uncomfortably in his seat, glancing between Luke and I. He finally shrugs and turns around to talk to Skylar. 

I look down quickly, returning my attention back to the lyrics I am currently working on. Luke is an accountant? What the fuck?

I look up to find him spinning in circles in his chair, clicking his pen. Shouldn't he be working? If he is as good as he implied earlier, why isn't he working?

Lunch rolls around and I follow Calum to the break room. He introduces me to everyone and goes to stand by Skylar, who gives me a welcoming smile.

"Welcome to Capitol Records," she says, "Nice to meet you."

"Thanks," I say. We chat for a while longer as we eat lunch. About fifteen minutes into lunch break, Luke slides into the seat directly across from me, next to Calum. 

I glare at him, but stop when I realize that Skylar and Annie have come to sit with me. The two just start to trade gossip, but I ignore them as I have never really been one to talk badly about other people. 

"So Alaska," Annia says after a while, "Are you seeing anybody?" 

My head snaps up, realizing that I have been spoken to. Its creepy, I can feel Calum and Luke's eyes staring at me from the side. 

"Uh, yeah," I say.

"Oooh," Skylar says, nudging me. "Who's the lucky guy?"

"Um, his name is Tyler." I say, blushing. "He's a photographer."

"Only a photographer? How old is he?" I look up to see Luke's teasing glare on me. 

"He's... He's nineteen." I say, looking down. 

"A little young for you, yes?"

"No."

"Two years age difference."

"How would you know!?" I snap.

Luke smirks, "Have you forgotten that I'm an accountant?"

I clench my jaw, getting annoyed. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"I had your file on my desk this morning," he says. "I had to set up your account with the company," he smirks, meeting my gaze. "I know alot more about you than you may think."

I stand from the table, "I think I'm just going to get back to work now."

I know more about you than you think.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I look at my watch and realize that I have still have twenty minutes of lunch break, so I decide to call Tyler. 

"Alaska, I wasn't expecting you to call. Aren't you at work?" Well, hello to you too then.

"It's my lunch break," I exclaim, "I just felt like talking to you."

"Oh." He pauses for a while. "So... How's it going?"

"Alright. I mean, I love the job but--"

"Alaska, babe, I wish I could talk longer but I have all my models dressed up here. Can't keep them waiting."

"Right, sorry. I'll catch up with you later then."

I hang up. He was on call last night, why should he have to work again today?

I hear the click of heels on pavement and I look up to see Matilda smiling.

"Hi Alaska, um lunch break is over. Just thought I should come and get you, I saw you storm out of the break room."

"Sorry."

"No, no, don't apologize. Luke is a real piece of work, don't mind him."

We ride the elevator up to the seventh floor. I have managed to keep it a secret that Luke and I are neighbours, I wonder if he's told anyone? Probably not. 

I sit back at my desk and try to ignore Luke's smirks. He spins in his chair and stares at the ceiling for the rest of the day. It really is a wonder how he manages to keep his job.

At five o'clock, I gather my things and walk out with Calum. 

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow. Nice meeting you," he says with a smile, getting into his black car. 

"Yeah, you too," I say, returning the smile. I'm glad I met Calum.

After the short drive home, I unlock my apartment, tossing the keys onto the couch. My first day was great on some levels, but horrible on others. 

At around eight o'clock, there is a knock at the door. I turn off the TV and go to answer. 

I clench my jaw at Luke's presence, how many times do I have to run into him in a day!?

"What," I snap. 

"Woah there, calm down." He says.

 I narrow my eyes at him and cross my arms over my chest, "What do you want?"

"You're mail got put in my box," he says, handing me a stack of letters. "Don't let it happen again."

"How is this my fault!?" I snap, "I'm not the one who put them in there!"

"Yeah. well you moved in here!" He snaps, turning around and slamming the door. 

Ugh, the nerve of that boy!

Coming to think of it, I don't think I've ever even seen him smile.