f i f t y n i n e

Emma doesn't call Luke back.

Well, for a few days, at least.

I can tell he's still recovering from hearing her voice, by the way he sometimes wearily checks his phone. I always feel a pang in my chest when he does so, knowing that deep down he really does want to talk to her.

Kind of like me and Elise.

Break ended too quickly, and it's now time to go back to work. Most days Luke and I go out for lunch, and sometimes Skylar and Calum come along. We're always careful to look out for Tyler and Drew back at Capitol, though. We wouldn't want another un-in with them.

With each passing day, I find myself falling more and more in love with Luke. It's the small things I've come to notice; the way he chews on his lip whilst driving, or clicks his pen erratically when he's procrastinating at work. I'm quite confused, wondering why on Earth I'm feeling this way. But I guess I've come to accept it.

It turns out Luke and I are banned from the bar we went to--Jeremy claimed that we were 'disrupting the peace', which we probably were, but that didn't stop Luke from requesting for his twenty dollars back.

Jeremy didn't give it back, though.

Not that we expected him to, after Luke told him that his nose was too big for his face.

Luke gave me a spare key to his apartment on Tuesday, telling me not to steal any of his Mars Bars, or he'll find me and kill me.

On Wednesday, Luke 'accidentally' spills a bit of coffee on my desk.

"What the hell?" I snap up at him.

"Sorry," he says, sliding into his desk with a smirk on his face that tells me he's clearly not sorry.

"Clean it up," I order, moving my papers out of the way to assess the spill.

"Want to make me?"

I raise and eyebrow. "Gladly." I stand and walk over to his desk, picking up his rubber band ball and hiding it behind my back, stepping away from him.

"No, no," he says, shooting up from his seat.

"Clean it up."

"Give it back."

"Not until you clean it up."

Luke stares at me, annoyance slickering in his expression. "Fine," he grumbles, stepping past me to the break room to get napkins.

I sit back in my desk, smirking.

I watch with upmost satisfaction as Luke wipes the coffee off my desk.

"There, happy?" He spits.

"Yep," leaning towards him. "Very."

"Give me back the damn ball."

"You're going to have to find it."

"Find it!? You can't be serious."

I raise an eyebrow.

Luke huffs and turns on his heel, beginning to ask everyone if they have seen his precious rubber band ball.

"You still have it, don't you?" Calum asks me.

I laugh, nodding.

Half an hour later, Luke slides into his desk in defeat.

"Looking for this?"

I hold up the ball, and his blue eyes widen.

"You little shit," he says and I laugh.

"Give it back."