f i f t y f i v e

I pull my jacket tighter around me as I walk down the street, the wind whipping harshly at my hair.

I can't believe I'm going to meet Tyler.

I feel horribly guilty for lying to Luke, but I don't need to tell him everywhere I go. As far as I know, Luke's in his apartment watching the TV. And as far as Luke knows, I'm going grocery shopping.

If it weren't for my sudden protectiveness over Luke, I wouldn't be doing this. But something about seeing him so injured on Friday broke my heart, and I don't want him getting hurt by Tyler anymore.

Luke's wounds have mostly healed, his lip almost back to normal and the cut on his cheek is scabbed over. His black eye has turned yellow, and hopefully will soon be gone.

I recall the directions Tyler texted me twice and told me over the phone yesterday.

The alley ten blocks down and around the corner of your apartment.

I round the corner, fear sparking inside of me. I literally have no idea what to expect from this meeting, but I brought pepper spray just incase.

As I enter the narrow alley, I see Tyler leaning against the brick wall of one of the buildings. He smirks when I approach.

"How nice of you to show, Allie," he says tauntingly. "I trust you came alone?"

I nod.

"Fortunately for you, so did I."

"What do you want?" I snap.

"Let's just chat for a while, shall we? How have you been?"

"Fine."

"Work's good?"

"Yes."

"And how is Luke?"

"Luke is fine."

"Good, good. And your feelings for him?"

I furrow my eyebrows, swallowing.. "Nonexistent."

"Nonexistent?"

"I have no feelings for him."

"I have a hard time believing that."

"We're friends, that's it." Am I convincing Tyler, or myself?

"I see," Tyler laughs venemously.

"Why did you make me come here?" I ask, quick to change the subject away from Luke.

"My uncle has requested I ask a favor of you," Tyler says.

"A favor?"

"Yes, a favor."

My heart rate quickens. "What kind of favor?"

"You're a smart girl, Alaska. You're quite observant, and that's a valuable skill. A desirable skill." Tyler steps towards me, and I step back. "We'd like for you to come work for Blackwater Enterprises."

I am taken completely by surprise by his request. "Work for you?"

"Yes. You wouldn't work with the finances, but you'd be an extra pair of eyes and ears that could be quite beneficial to the company."

"What if I refuse?"

"I'll tell Drew what I know. Simple."

I shake my head. "No, you won't tell Drew anything." I lock my jaw, taking a step towards him. "You won't tell him because if you hadn't had ten men to back you up, Luke and Calum would of whooped your sorry ass. And you know it, too. I see it in your face."