s i x

Luke is leaned across the desk, palms flat on the surface as he speaks to a distinguished man sitting in a chair behind the desk. His face was stoic as Luke steps away, eyes filling with confusion when he sees me. 

"Ah," the man behind the desk says. "You must be Alaska." He smiles, pushing his hand towards me. "Lincoln Adams, CEO of Capitol Records." 

"It's a pleasure," I say, shaking his outstretched hand. "Mr Connery instructed me to drop off these." I say, handing him the manila folder full of songs. 

"Ah, of course," He says, picking it up, "Let's talk about them, shall we?"

"Mr Adams," Luke interjects, "We weren't finished--"

"What's done is done, Mr Hemmings. There is nothing you can do about it."

"Yes there is! There is a simple solution--"

"Look, I'm sorry Luke, but there is nothing you can do about it."

Luke's cheeks flush with anger, "With all due respect, Mr Adams, are you out of your god damnbed mind!?"

My jaw drop at the way Luke is speaking to Mr Adams. It was bad enough with Mr Connery, but this just takes it to a whole new level. 

"Get back to work, Hemmings."

"I don't want to get back to work until these budget cuts are reduced by at least six percent."

"You may be the best accountant we've got Hemmings, but I can still bloody well fire you!" Mr Adams shouts.

Luke swallows nervously, his adams apple bobbing up and down. "Look, I know I'm a slacker, okay? I know I don't get alot done. But you need to listen to me about these cuts Adams, because if you don't, you're company is going down." Luke takes one last look at Mr Adams before turning on his heel and storming out of the office. 

Mr Adams sighs, shaking his head. "Two hours," He says, "New record."

"He come up here alot?" I ask, taking a seat.

"Oh, at least twice a month." Mr Adams says, shuffling some papers around his desk. I sit silently as he rearranges the papers.

"Everyone says he's the best accountant, Mr Adams." I say nervously, "Maybe you should try listening to him?" I try to reason with him. I do not like Luke, not one little bit, but I think I should do this for the good of the company. 

Mr Adams clenche his jaw, "Damn it," He curses, pressing a button on the telephone on his desk. "Get Hemmings back in here," He snaps.

Within seconds, Luke bursts back through the door, breathless. "You wanted me back?" He asks. How on Earth did he get up here so fast?

"I thought about what you said," said Mr Adams, "And I think you may be right."

Relief washes over Luke's face before it's replaced with a smug grin. "Thankyou," he says.

"Actually, you should thank Alaska here for changing my mind about it," He says, and Luke's eyes flicker down to met my own. 

"Well," Luke said, "Thank you, Mr Adams. You won't regret this descision."

Mr Adams nods and Luke exists the office once again, looking at me one last time. 

As I hear the door shut, I rise to my feet. "I should probably get going," I say, "It was a pleasure meeting you."

Mr Adams smiles, "Likewise, Miss Andrews. I look forward to seeing more of your work, especially if these songs are as great as Mr Connery makes them out to be." 

I nod and thank him before walking out of his office, and I notice that it's already five o'clock and notice that it's time to gon home. Honestly, I don't know where all that time went!

I hurry back to my desk on the seventh floor, collecting my things and sliding my handbag over my shoulder. I say goodbye to Andrea and step into the elevator, taking it to the ground level. 

It honestly doesn't surprise me to see Luke leaning against the front pillars of the building. He always seems to be leaning somewhere, to be honest. His eyes meet mine and he stands up straight, making his way over to me. 

I break eye contact with him as I walk past, ignoring him.

"Alaska," He calls after me, making me stop. 

"Hmmm."

"Why did you help me?"

I stopped, turning to face him. "What?"

"You convinced Adams to side with me... Why?"

I shrug, "I want to have my job for more than three years."

Luke tenses his jaw, "I could have done it by myself."

"Well, obviously you couldn't, or we wouldn't be in this situatuon now, would we?"

"What I'm saying is that I don't need your help." He snaps.

"Jeez, why don't you just thank me and get over it?" I huff, getting annoyed at his attitude.

"Because I didn't even ask for your help to begin with!"

"God, Luke, you really are a piece of work. Next time your failing at saving the company, don't expect me to jump in and help." I say, and walk past him, anger flowing through my veins.

"It was for the good of your job too!" He shouts after me. 

I ignore him, yanking open the door to my car and sitting inside. I back out of the lot as fast as I can so that I don't run into him at the apartment building. Damn Adams for listening to me. Damn Mr Connery for sending me up there. Damn Luke for being my neighbour. Damn Luke for being an ungreatful little shit. Damn me for helping him, when all he does is yell at me.