f i f t y

It's hard for me to imagine Luke chasing after a girl like Isabel. She seems like a girl who's too caught up in her own life to stop and fall in love, much like Luke.

At the same time, anger and a bit of envy bubbles inside me. How could Isabel be so cold towards Luke? Didn't she know that she had all his love? Why didn't she stay for him, and give him the love her deserves?

He deserves love, I think to myself as I watch him. He deserves it more than anyone, even though he doesn't believe in it.

"Luke," I say, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?"

"I think we should get going. It looks like it's about to rain."

He nods and rises, stretching his limbs as he reaches his full height. I stand up next to him, still wary of the fifreen stories below the glass.

"Do you need to hold my hand again?" Luke asks teasingly.

"No," I retort. The air has changed between us, I can feel it. It's from revealing our secrets, I know it. I just feel alot more comfortable around Luke now, knowing that he kknows about my dark past, and accepts it.

I look at my feet, breathing heavily at the vast height we are above the lobby.

A split second later, Luke shoves me slightly. "Watch your step!" He yells in my ear. I squeal and grab onto his arm and he laughs. I loop my arm tightly around his, almost leaning on him as he continues to laugh at me.

I shove him away once we're off the glass.

"Douche," I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Aw, Allie, are you afraid of heights?"

"No," I snap. "I just don't appreciate it when blonde assholes tell me to watch my step when we're fifteen stories above the ground!"

Luke laughs again. "Blonde asshole," he repeats. "That's a new one."

"Yeah, I have alot of new ones saved from the time I haven't seen you," I tell him as we wait for the elevator.

"Hmm, can't wait to hear them," Luke says sarcastically.

We take the elevator down to the lobby and walk out to Luke's car. I slide in =to the passenger sear at nigh. I catch my reflection in one of the side mirrors. My hair is slightly messy from the wind, and my cheeks are flushed from the cold. My eyes are bright and lively though, and I can't figure out why. I think it might be Luke's influence, but I'm not quite sure.

"See, that wasn't so bad," Luke says, smirking. "You made it out alive."

I roll my eyes. "I'm never walking out onto that window again."

"Believe what you want, Allie."

"Oh, I will."

Luke turns on the radio again and I suddenly feel overcome with sleepiness as 'The Fray' plays quietly through the car speakers. I rest my head back against the seat and my eyes flutter shut.

I hear Luke hum quietly along with the song on the radio. I listen carefully to the way his deep voice hits each note perfectly. He has a nice voice.

I fall asleep shortly to the sound on Luke humming and rain starting to fall outside as we drive along.

It seems like only seconds later when I hear Luke's rough voice in my ear, my name falling quietly from him lips.

"Alaska," he says again, and I open my eyes.

The first thing I see when I open my eyes is black.

I panic for a moment, then realize I'm looking at Luke's shirt and that he's carrying me, my head against his chest.