n i n e

I walk into work on Monday, dreading to see Luke.

It seems as though all he wants to do is annoy, which wasn't difficult to realize. I honestly wish we hadn't met.

Surprisingly, Luke is already at his desk when I arrive.

"You're late," he says, spinning around in his chair. He always seems to do that.

"I'm not late," I snap.

"Are too."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"I'm not doing this with you." I say, sitting down and my desk and opening my laptop.

"Have you started any new songs for this week?" Calum asks, leaning over his desk.

"I've only got about half a one so far," I sigh.

"Not bad."

"You?"

"Nah, haven't started yet." He says, sliding back into his chair.

I smile and then focus back on my work. I tap my fingers on the table, trying to think of some new lines for the chorus of my song. This week, I have been asked to write two songs for a boy to sing, so obviously I have to make the lyrics sound like they're coming from a man's mouth, not my own. 

"Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside"

I'm so immensed in my work that I barely notice when I get hit with a paper ball.

And another.

I finally look up after six hit me. Luke smirks, crumpling up another piece of paper, preparing to throw it at me. He brings his arm back and tosses it, hitting my right in the arm.

I narrow my eyes at him, "Stop," I hiss.

"I was aiming for the trash can, I swear." He says, raising his arms in defense, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Then maybe you should actually aim it towards the trash can."

"If I could, I would. I'm such a terrible shot."

"Find something else to do," I snap.

"Like what?"

"Your bloody job!"

Luke throws his head back and laughs, as though I've just told him the funniest joke in the world. What in the world is up with this boy?

I try to ignore him though, and exhale slowly, looking back down to my computer screen.

Luke is so hot and cold. Sometimes he'll be like this; annoying the living shit out of me, and others he'll be snapping at me. Talk about bipolar.

Another paper ball hits me and I snap my head up, grabbing it from my desk and launching it back towards him. It hits him square between the eyes and everyone around us laughs. I put a hand over my mouth to stop myself from laughing, too. I never thought I was a good aim, but karma has proved me wrong.

Luke's cheeks clush and Calum howls with laughter. Skylar wipes the tears from my eyes and Matilda high fives me.

I lean back in my seat smugly, feeling quite powerful. I raise my eyes at Luke, challenging him to throw another one.

"Lucky shot," he snaps, leaning over his desk to pick up a pen.

"Whatever," I retort and turn back to my work. Moments later another paper ball hits me and I scowl. I'm about to throw it back at him when I notice blue ink on it.

I open up the paper, smoothing it out.

'You'll pay for that', it says in surprisingly neat writing. I didn't expect Luke's handwriting to be so clean.

I click on the end of my pen and quickly scribble down a reply. 'You deserved it and you know it.'

I toss it back and he catches it with one hand, and he throws it back towards me after writing on it once again. 'Watch it, Allie.'

I grimace at the nickname and toss the paper into the trash. I honestly can't stand him calling me that. The only people I allow to call me Allie is my family and Tyler, no exceptions. Well, at least not since what happened between my sister and I.

I hate how Luke knows that it sets me off, yet he still says it. He knows that all he has to do is call me 'Allie', and he's automatically won. As sick as it sounds, I wish I knew something about him to taunt him with.

I loose myself in my work for the rest of the day, managing to ignore Luke's teasing. He reminds me of the boys that would make paper airplanes and throw them around the room just to annoy the girls in second grade. Sp basically, he acts like a second grader.

The weather seems to be getting colder, and I shiver as I turn on the heat in my car as I drive home. My dark hair spills over my shoulders and down my back, my cheeks going a rosy colour. Since when was it this cold in Sydney?!

I throw my keys onto the couch when I get home, sighing. Tyler hasn't contacted me since last night. I don't want to seem like a clingy girlfriend, but he should of at least called me, right?

I pick up my phone to dial his number, but decide against it. If he wants to talk to me, then he can call.

I turn on the heater and cuddle up on the lounge, watching reruns of 'Friends'.

Before I know it, I'm asleep. I had no idea how tired I actually was. It must be Luke and all his antics making me this exhausted. I decide to ignore him from now on, and just focus on my work. Maybe if he sees that he won't get a reaction out of me, he'll stop.

One can only hope.