f i f t e e n

"He forgot you!?" 

Annie and Matilda look at me with wide eyes as I tell them the events that occurred last night. Excluding the part about me and Luke almost kissing, that is. I don't want anyone to know about that. 

I nod, tracing my fingertips along the top of the can of my coke. 

"You dumped him, right?" Annie asks.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone enter the lunch room. 

Luke casually walks over to the fridge and opens it without even the curtesy to give me a 'hello'. He looks at me briefly before focusing on the contents of the fridge. 

"N-no," I say.

Annie's jaw drops, "Why the hell not!?"

"I'm going to talk to him later," I say. "We'll work things out."

Annie and Matilda exchange a glace. "I don't know, Alaska. This guy seems kind of... out of line."

"I know, but I'm not going to give up that easily," I say. From where I am sitting, I can't see Luke's face, only his back. I can tell he's listening, though.

"If he can't make time for you, he's not worth it," Matilda agrees.

I shrug, "I don't know, I think I might love him."

Luke stiffens and snaps his head up, a can of lemonade clenched tightly in his fist. His eyes blaze as he turns and storms out of the room.

Annie and Matilda say some more stuff that I ignore. Why did Luke react that way? I excuse myself from the break room and make my way back to my desk.

"It's rude to listen in on other people's conversation, you know," I say quietly so only Luke can hear me. 

"I don't care," he replies, shuffling some papers around his desk. "I never said I wasn't rude."

I roll my eyes and click open a pen. I'm about to begin editing my next song when Mr Connery steps out of his office. 

"Alaska and Luke, a minute, if you please." I stiffen and look at Luke. He seems completely unbothered and rises from his desk, making his way to Mr Connery's office. I quickly follow, biting my lip to contain my nerves. 

"Hemmings, you dealt with Miss Andrews' file when she first began working here," Mr Connery says. "Run the final copy up to Adams' office to put in the archive. Alaska, you need to accompany him to verify all of the information."

I internally groan. I don't want to spend any time with Luke. At all. None. Ever. 

Luke nods and takes the file in his hands, he doesn't give either me or Mr Connery a second glance as he strides out of the office. I jog to catch up with him as we reach the elevator. 

"You could wait up," I say, huffing. 

"I could, doesn't mean I have to."

"You know, I'm not happy about this either," I say as we step into the elevator. "You don't have to be such a douche."

"I barely said anything, Allie," he says, and I grimace at the stupid nickname. 

Luke hands me my file, a smile spreading across his face. "Hold this," he says. I tentatively take the file into my arms as Luke reaches out and presses every singl" e button on the elevator, lighting them all up. 

"Don't do that!" I scowl. "You'll block up the system!"

"I do this every time I go in the elevator, well be fine," he smiles and takes back my file. 

"Now we have to go to all the floord," I say, "All fifteen. And waste time."

"Please don't tell me that you actually care about getting back to work quickly."

"But I do."

"Of course. Should have known."

"What does that mean?" 

"It means you're a goody-goody, Allie."

"I am not!"

"Yes you are, you can't even deny it."

I clench my jaw. "Well, sometimes, good girls are bad girls that haven't been caught."

He just smirks. "True, if you play by the rules all the time you never really get the thrill of the game." His tone is smug, eyes taunting me. It honestly makes me want to slap the smirk right off his face. 

A few moments pass as we ride in the elevator. Suddenly, there's a loud bang and the elevator screeches to a stop, the lights flickering before going completely out.