f o r t y t w o

I am unable to form words to sat to her. Memories of the two of us flash before my eyes as she looks at me, her eyes cold. 

"Alaska," she says, her tone clipped. 

"Elise," I finally say. 

"Your father is in his study," my mother says, attempting to break the ice. "Go say hello, and I'll put your bags in your room."

I nod and tear my eyes away brom my sister. She's two years younger then me, but sometimes I feel as though she's the older sibling. 

I blindly make my way to my father's study, knocking lightly on the door before entering

"Alaska," he greets from his desk, taking off his glasses. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," I say, smiling. "It's good to see you."

"You too. You look wonderful, darling. How's Sydney treating you?"

"I love it there," I say honestly. 'It's such a beautiful city."

"It is," my father agrees. He looks the same, as well. Dark hair with touches of grey and kind brown eyes. "Let's go have dinner, I'm sure your mother already has it prepared."

I nod and follow him into the dining room, where my mother and Elise put out plates on the table. Elise still ignores me. 

"Everything looks great," I say, taking a seat at the table.

"Thanks, love," my mother says.

My mother spoons spaghetti onto each person's plate. I notice when she gets to my father, she completely avoids eye contace. Odd. 

We finally start eating, and my body warms at the familiar taste of my mother's cooking. For the first half of the meal, it is completely silent except for the sounds of forks clattering with plates. 

My mother speaks up. "So, Alaska. How is Tyler doing?"

"Oh," I say awkwardly, looking down. "We broke up."

My mother furrows her eyebrows. "Oh, how come?"

Because he continuously forgot about me. Because he lied to me. Because he hit me. Because he swore at me. Because I cheated on him. Because Luke was always there for me when Tyler wasn't, even when Luke and I hated each other. "Things just didn't work out," I say casually.

"I'm sorry, Allie," my mother says sympathetically. 

"It's okay. Some people just aren't right for each other, I guess."

My father shifts in his seat and my mother looks down. I furrow my brows, thoroughly confused. 

Elise breaks the silence by slamming her first down firmly on the table. "Go on, tell her," she snaps at our parents. 

I swallow. Tell me what?

"Elise," my mother hisses. 

"Come on, this is the perfect opportunity. Tell her. Go ahead," Elise says, a hard expression on her face.

"Tell me what?" I ask shakily. 

My parents exchange a glance. 

"Alaska," my father says slowly. "Your mother and I..." He clears his throat. "Your mother and I are getting a divorce."