t w e n t y

After a few moments, the door opens. Luke wears grey sweatpants and a black shirt, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. 

"Alaska?" He asks. "What are you doing here? It's three in the morning," his voice is deep and raspy. Jesus christ it's hot. Wait, what?

"I know," I say.

"What's wrong?"

I frown. Now that I think about it, it's stupid. I shouldn't have woken up Luke for this. 

"I can't sleep," I say quietly. God, I'm so stupid.

Luke just stares at me. 

"I'm sorry, I'll go. Sorry." I start to turn, when Luke grabs my hand and spins me back around.  

"Is everything okay?" He asks, worry spreading over his face.

"Yes," I lie. "I'm fine, I--"

"Are you sure?" He asks, cutting me off.

I look down at his fingers that are still clasped around my hand and shake my head slowly. 

He let's go of me and steps to the side. "Come on in," he says and I nod, stepping into his apartment. 

Everything is perfectly neat, and in place. The walls are a cream colour, and the doors are all a light brown wood. There is a large flatscreen TV mounted on the wall in front of two navy blue couches. The place is impeccably neat. 

Luke walks over to the kitchen and pulls out two coffee cups. He puts the kettle on as I sit down at the island bench. He still doesn't speak as he puts a tea bag in each cup, stirring them both with a spoon as he pours in the milk. He finishes and slides a cup towards me. 

"No sugar?" I ask. 

"Nope. Just milk and tea, it helps you relax." I've never heard of that before, but I drink it nonetheless. 

"What are you afraid of?" Luke asks me. 

"I've never been jumped like that before, and then you even said I wasn't completely safe..."

"Do you feel unsafe?" He asks and I shrug.

"Nothing will happen to you, Allie. I won't let anything happen, okay?" He asks, and I nod.

This is so odd, to be having tea with Luke, at three in the morning, in his apartment. Only hours ago, we were yelling at each other in a broken elevator, and here he is telling me he'll keep me safe.

"What is it that you do?" I ask him.

"I'm an accountant," he replies.

"No, I mean for those guys."

"I'm an accountant," he repeats, smirking at my confused expression. 

"What are the numbers?" I say, and clamp my hand over my mouth as soon as the words leave my mouth. 

"Numbers?"

"When I followed you..."

"Of course," he says, running a hand through his blonde hair. He actually looks quite different right now. It isn't in his usual quiff, it's just falling across his forhead and flicking to the side. Like Justin Bieber. 

"Alaska, listen to me. You can't know anything about this, okay? Especially what I do. Do you understand?" 

"But..."

"I can't tell you, and I won't. It's none of your business."

"It kind of is my business now! I mean, I was fucking jumped on my way home!"