f i v e

I walk into Mr Connery's office and slap a folder of my newly written songs onto his desk. He takes it his hands, a shocked expression crossing his face. 

"Wow, Alaska," he says. "I didn't expect you to be done with these so soon!" 

I smirk, pride growing inside me, "I work fast," I say.

"Well, you're making a good impression on me, Miss Andrews."

I smile, "Thankyou."

He opens the folder, his eyes scanning over the pages of lyrics, "I will go over these and get back to you as soon as I can." 

I nod and exit his office. 

Realizing that it is now my lunch break, I head to the break room. Opening the fridge, I search the racks looking for a drink. Settling on creaming soda, I shut the fridge. Turning around I find Luke standing merely 30cm away fro me, leaning against the wall and smirking. I let out a shriek, and end up dropping my soft drink. 

"Why did you scare me!?" I snap at him, bending down to retrieve my drink.

"Because, you are very unsuspecting," He replies.

I grimace, "Thanks," i say sarcastically.

I shove past him and make my way out of the break room, but unfortunately, he catches up to me. 

"Congratulations on finishing your first songs, by the way," he says.

"Whatever."

"A thankyou would suffice," he smirks.

"Look, don't you have work to do?" I ask, annoyed.

"Yes, but, i'd rather not." 

"How do you even manage to keep you're job?"

"Well," he says, "I'm damn good at it."

"Cocky much?"

"No, just accurate."

I huff and walk away again, making me way back to my desk. I slide into my seat and put my head in my hands, thoroughly annoyed by Luke and his teasing. Looking up, I find Luke standing in front of me, still with that god damnbed smirk on his face. 

"You wouldn't want to open that soda love, it'll explode."

"Shut up," I snap, and begin on editing one of the songs I got given by Mr Connery.

This seems to amuse Luke more as he spins around in his chair, continuously clicking his pen. Matilda hands him a folder and he picks it up, eyes traveling over it.

"You've got to be fucking kidding!" He says, jolting up from his seat. The paper wrinkles in his clenched fist as he storms into Mr Connery's office, leaving the rest of us shocked at his ourburst. 

"What did the paper say?" Calum asks.

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Matilda says, "Just the budget cut percentages the company has to make."

I shrug it off and eye my soda, debating whether or not I should wait longer to open it.

A few moments later, distinct yelling can be heard from Mr Connery's office.

"These cuts are too big! If we make them now, the company will be out of money in three years! We can afford to make smaller ones!" I recognise Lukes voice.

"This is the smaller route in the long run, we'll make the money back by the end of the year and it will be fine! You don't know what you're talking about--"

"Do you want to be out of money in three years!?"

"How do you know that your calculations are accurate?" 

There's a pause. "I'm taking this to Adams."

"Hemmings--"

Luke bursts out of the offie, cheeks flushed with anger. We all watch as he storms past Andrea's desk and out the doors to the elevator.

Calum chuckles, "Luke and his temper."

"Why is he so mad over budget cuts?" I ask. "It seems so petty."

Calum shrugs, "He's just very concerned about his job."

"Doesn't seem like it."

"He may not be on task most of the time, but he's damn smart. Barely needs a calculator."

This news kind of shocks me. Luke doesn't seem like one to be overly smart, let alone some sort of maths genious. 

Three o'clock rolls around and Luke still isn't back. He's been gone for a good hour and a half, it makes me wonder what's happening in there.

"Miss Andrews," Mr Connery calls from his office. I cautiosly stand up from my desk and walk over to him.

"I just wanted to say, that the song's you wrote were fantastic!" He says, "I'd like the CEO to read some of them before publishing though, would you mind taking them to Mr Adams three floors up? Usually Andrea does it, but I believe he'd like to meet you."

I nod, and he smiles at me, handing me the folder. 

I try to shake away the nervousness as I make my way to the elevator, the heels of my black pumps.

I walk into the office of Mr Adams, a receptionist greeting me. 

"I'm Alaska Andrews, Mr COnnery sent me up here."

She nods, "I believe Mr Hemmings is still in there at the moment, would you mind waiting?"

"I just need to drop these off, I'll be quick." 

She nods, "Alright, go on in." 

As I walk down the hall to Mr Adam's office, I hear Luke's loud voice booming through the wall. I swallow, lightly knocking on the door.