f i f t y s i x

Luke looks down as soon as he says it, as if he didn't mean to say it aloud.

I stare at him as a light pink blush creeps onto his cheeks.

I'd wish for you, Alaska.

I'd wish for you.

Wish for me? What does that mean? It could mean so many things...

"What do you mean, you'd wish for me?" I breath.

Luke blinks, bringing his gaze back to mine. "I don't exactly know," he says. "I think I..." He stops himsel when his phone vibrates in his pocket.

What? He thinks he... what?

"Hello?" He says into the phone.

He immediately stiffens. "What do you mean?"

"Ash, slow down. Tell me what the fuck you're talking about."

"Fine. We'll be there."

He locks his phone and pinhes the bridge of his nose. "Damn it," he curses, beginning to pace in front of me.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Drew... Drew's angry that Tyler didn't recruit you, so he's sending people out to look for you. It's not safe to go back to the apartments right now."

My heart rate quickens. "So... what do we do?"

"We're meeting at Calum's place in an hour, we'll figure it out then." Luke's jaw is cleched tight as I follow him back to the car, getting in the passenger seat.

I'm dying to know what Luke was going to say, but his arlier comments are long forgotten as we speed back into the city. The peaceful time when we stared at the stars is now gone.

"Fuck, fuck, fucking..." Luke curses under his breath as we drive.

"Why do they want me?" I ask.

"Because you're smart. Everyone can see that."

"What use would I be? I don't understamd."

"Alaska, part of your job requires close examination of a piece of literature for mistakes of any form, correct?"

"Yes."

"That skill is... highly useful for someone like Drew. You're observant, like Tyler said. You could potentially be Drew's most valuable tool."

"Is he going to try to force me into working with him?"

"Yes," Luke says. "he's going to do everything he can to persuade you. But remember what I've told you, Alaska. Once you're in, you can never get out. And I won't let you be subjected to his schemes."

"I won't be," I tell him and he nods.

"Good."

Luke soon pulls up to a brick building similar to ours, but I recognize the neighbourhood as Paramatta.

"Stay close, alright?" Luke looks over at me and I nod.

"Are you afraid?" He asks me.

"No," I answer.

He stares at me for a moment longer before nodding and getting out of the car.

I follow behind him into the building, looking over my shoulder every so often. This is nerve wracking, knocking I'm being sought afteer by Blackwater Enterprises.

Luke presses the button for the third floor in the elevator, his foot tapping nervously againt the floor.

He leads me down a hall, to a door where I assume Calum lives, lifting his hand and knocking. I notice in a specific pattern.