e i g h t e e n

I clench my jaw, redying a comeback. I'm about to spit another insult at him whe the doors to the elevator open, light spilling into the small area. A maintenance man and Mr Connery are standing out in the hall.

Luke exhales and picks his things up off the ground. He briskly walks out of the elevator without a word. I quickly follow, running a hand through my low hair.

"How long were yous in there?" Mr Connery asks.

"I don't know," I say. "Luke pushed all the buttons, so it must of jammed up the system."

Mr Connery rolls his eyes, "Dammit, I've told him to stop with that. Sorry about that, Alaska."

I shrug, "It's alright."

Mr Connery checks his watch, "I hate to do this to you Alaska, but would you mind working late tonight? I have nine more songs that need to be edited by tomorrow, and--"

"Of course, I'll start on it now."

I walk back to my workspace and sit down, shuffling my papers around. I notice that Luke has left already. Thank god. He's the absolute last person that I want to see.

I am still flustered by Luke's rude words towards me. I am not pretentious! Did he seriously mean all those horrible things that he said? Am I a snob? What did I do that makes him think that? Why did he judge me so quickly.

What did I ever do to Luke to make him hate me?

I look at my watch and notice that it's five o'clock. I text Tyler, asking if he can pick me up later and he says yes. I'll get the chance to apologize to him and everything will be okay.

My red pen flies across the page, Mr Connery check up on me every so often to make sure I'm doing okay and thanks me for staying late. He says he'll run my file up to Mr Adams another time.

By eight o'clock, I've finished my work and Mr Connery thanks me again as I walk out the door.

I dial Tyler's number, but I go straight to his voicemail.

The air is freezing cold, and I wrap my coat tighter around me. I don't see his car anywhere, and my heart sinks when I realize he probably isn't coming...again.

I really need to talk to Ty about this.

I shiver and sit down on the bench. I won't cry this time. I begin to rethink my feelings for Tyler. He always forgets about me, and he is at work all the time. Is he really working? Or is he lyring?

No, my mind snaps. He wouldn't lie to you. He is busy at work, like he said.

I try to ring him again, but hang up when I get put through to voicemail for the second time. Why is he forgetting me so much?

He doesn't treat you right, does he?

Although I hate to admit it, Luke was right. Tyler doesn't treat me right. I really need to talk to him about that, or it's over.

Well, at least it isn't raining this time.

I look around, and I don't see Luke's car in the lot either. I'm relieved and disapointed all at the same time. I don't even know why. He is a jerk, and I want nothing to do with him.

My mind reminisces the events that happened in the elevator earlier that day. 'Be careful what you wish for', he said. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I want for Tyler for another fifteen minutes before standing from the bench.

I guess I'm walking home.

I begin the long route home, my black heels clicking against the cold pavement.

I can hear yelling off in the distance, and I flinch at the obscenity of the words.

I round a corner and sigh, pulling out google maps on my phone and typing in my address. Hopefully it won't be much further away.

I hear movement behind me, but I ignore it. It's probably just someone else walking home. Why should I be worried?

I hear a twig snap and I turn around, my eyes scanning the empty street. My eyes land on the alley that I followed Luke into last week. Fear starts to build inside me, and I begin to walk faster.

There's no one there.

There's no one the--"

Someone grabs my wrist and slams my back against a brick building. My breathing hitches and I gasp at the pain that shoots through my body.

Two guys stand before me, the streetlight bathing them in eerie, dim light. I recognise both of them. One being the guy I met in the elevator on the way home that time, with his curly light brown hair and hazel eyes. I think is name was Alex? Adam? Ashton? Yes, that's it, Ashton. The other is the one is the man I recognize from the alley, the one with the purple hair and green eyes.

"Got you," the one with the purple hair says, smirking.

"A-Ashton?" I ask. He seemed so nice when I met him, what the hell is he doing!?

Sadness washes over his face, but it's gone as quickly as it appeared. "Shut up, Alaska," he spits, and I feel tears brim my eyes.

"Alaska, is it?" The purple-haired one asks. "What a lovely name." He doesn't look that much older than me, actually. Neither of them do.

"How much did he tell you?" Ashton asks gruffly.

"Who?"

"Don't play dumb, Alaska. What did Hemmings tell you!?"

"Luke?" I ask, cunfusion and curiosity bubbling inside me.

"You heard me."

"H-He hasn't told me anything."

'Don't lie, lyring won't get you anywhere," the one with purple hair sneers.

"Who are you?" I ask.

"We'll be the one asking the questions," he snaps.

"Oh, come on mate," Ashton says. "We should at least tell the poor girl our names."

The purple haired one smiles at me. "All right," he says. "I'm Michael, and I believe you already know Ashton?" He asks, and I nod. "Now that we're aquainted, let's get down to business."

I swallow the lump in my throat, my emotions getting the best of me as a tear slips from my eye. "What o you want?"

"We want to know what Hemmings told you," Michael says.

"He hasn't told me anything!" I say, getting annoyed. "I don't even like him! I hate the guy!"

The two men look at each other and laugh. "Then why did he take you home the other day?" Michael asks.

"I needed a ride," I say. "That's all."

Ashton steps towards me eyes blazing. "Let me tell you something, Alaska," he says. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Either way, you're talking."

More screams fight to exit my mouth, but I stay paralyzed. I should have called for a ride. Or gotten a taxi. I shouldn't have walked.

"I don't have any information," I say. "I'm telling you the truth! Please, just let me go home."

"Sorry Alaska, but we can't let that happen," Ashton says, crossing his arms over his chest. "Now tell me," he says through gritted teeth. "What did Hemmings tell you?"

I want to scream and call for help, but my body doesn't let me and I stand there petrified. My head is pounding, still sore from when I got slammed into the wall.

Suddenly, a car screeches to a halt on the curb, someone wearing all black jumping out of the driver's seat.

"Hey!" The man says, and I recognise his voice immediately. Luke. I stare in disbelief as Ashton and Michael turn on him.