n i n e t e e n

"What did you tell her, Hemmings?" Michael snarls at Luke.

"I haven't told her anything!" He says. "Just leave her alone, she knows nothing."

"Then why have we seen you with her so much?" Ashton asks.

"I was doing her a favor," Luke replies. 

"Drew is wondering about you," Michael says. "You didn't show up last night. 

"I couldn't, I was busy."

"Enough excuses!" Michael snaps. "You either show up tomorrow, or you're out. And get your shit together, or she's in trouble," he said, pointing a finger towards me. 

"She has nothing to do with this!" Luke says. "I barely even know her, leave her out of this."

"She knows more than you think she does," Ashton says. Shit. 

"What the hell do you mean?" Luke snaps, his shoulders tensing. 

"She saw you talking to Drew last week," Ashton goes on. "She followed you."

Luke looks at me and I shrink back against the wall, his gaze burning like a fire. 

"It doesn't matter," Luke says, surprising me. "She barely knows her way around Sydney, leave her out of this."

"Fine," Michael snaps. "But if Drew finds out that she knows anything, you're both in deep shit." He looks at Ashton, and the two leave without another word. They disappear back into the alley, leaving Luke and I alone. 

I stay pressed against the wall, processing what just happened. My head pounds, breaths falling rapidly.

Luke stares at the ground for a minute, the harsh wind messing up his perfect quiff, making his fringe fall into his face. He chews on his lip, as though he is debating something.

Why did he stand up for me? How did he know where I was? Who are those guys? What do they want? 

Luke finally snaps his head and begins walking back to his car. "Get in," he says coldly.

I don't argue as I hurry to the passenger side, the warm air from the heater engulfing me as I slide back in the leather seats. 

"Did they hurt you?" He asks as we drive.

I shake my head. I know he's angry about me following him the other day, and honestly I don't blame him. I know if the roles were reversed, I would be furious. 

"Are you alright?" He asks, and I nod. "Are you going to talk?" He asks. 

I swallow, my throat dry. I don't know what to say to him, I've never experienced an encounter quite like that in my life. Luke matches my silence as we drive along the empty streets. My heart pounds loudly, still recovering from the former events. 

Luke sighs, "Why did you follow me that day?" His voice is oddly calm and contained as he breaks the steady silence. 

"I don't know," I say, looking at my lap. "You left in such a hurry, I--"

"You are never to follow me again, do you understand?" He says, his tone quickly turning venemous. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper. 

Luke exhales slowly, his fingers lightly drumming against the steering wheel as he takes his lip ring between his teeth. I can practically see his mind racing. 

"Thankyou," I say, breaking the silence. "For showing up."

Luke nods. 

"How did you even know I was there?" I ask. I have so many questions for him, I don't even know where to start.

"I didn't," he says. "I was driving back to Capitol."

"Why?"

Luke takes a deep breath, eyes flicking to look at me for a brief moment before continuing. "I wanted to apologise," he whispered, so quiet in fact, I'm surprised I even heard him. "For yelling at you."

This is so weird, I've never heard Luke apologise before. "Oh."

"Yeah," he says nervously. "So... sorry for saying those things."

I nod, an awkward silence filling the car, but I quickly break it.

"How did you know I was still at Capitol?" 

"You weren't at home, so I figured..."

"Oh."

Luke turns a corner, the wind continuing to whistle outside. 

"Can I ask you a question? You have to be completely honest with me," I say.

"Allright then," he says hesitantly. 

"Am I in danger?"

"If I'm being honest.." He says as he pulls into the parking lot of our apartment building. "Then you're not completely safe."

My breathing accelerates, my bottom lip trembling as I hold back the tears. What would have happened to me if Luke hadn't of shown up? If they saw Luke take me home, do they know where I live? 

What te hell have I gotten myself into...

"Don't cry, Alaska," Luke says, taking in my expression. His eyes are soft as he reaches over the centre console and touches my arm. "I promise to do whatever I can to make sure you're safe, okay?" He asks, and I nod. "I promise." His voice was soothing, the same it was the first time Tyler forgot me. 

I nod and take a few shaky breaths, and Luke looks at me for a moment longer before getting out of the car. I step out too, and he locks the car as we walk inside. 

We stop walking when we get to my front door. "Can ask you something now?" He asks, and I nod.

"Did Tyler forget you again?"

I cross my arms over my chest, taking my bottom lip between my teeth. "Yes," I whisper, looking down at my feet.

Luke doesn't answer. I have a feeling I know what he's thinking, as I am thinking the same thing. What a dick head. 

I sigh and unlock my apartment, "I guess I'll see you at work tomorrow, then?" I ask.

Luke nods at me, and I shut the door. 

My entire being aches to know what he's involved in and who those guys really are. I shower quickly and get into bed, pulling the covers up to my chin. 

Sleep evades me as I lay there, staring at the ceiling. What if they come for me now? What if they break in? 

Hours pass, and I'm still wide awake. 

Why do they even think that Luke would tell me something? What is there for him to tell? I want to know so badly, but at the same time, I don't want to put myself in danger. 

I shoot up at every noise I hear. I know I'm being paranoid, but there is no way I can sleep like this. 

Before I even know what I'm doing, my feet carry me to Luke's door. I knock lightly, looking around the dark and empty hall.