t e n

I cross my arms over my chest as I stare at Tyler. It's been an entire week since he left in the middle of our date and he's barely called me. To say that I'm upset would be an understatement. 

"Want to explain yourself?" I ask, leaning against the doorframe. 

"I know that you're probably pissed to the max, Las. But it's the beginning of Winter, and they need me to cover heaps of shoots."

I sigh, "I guess. I just feel like don't make time for me."

Tyler's eyes soften and he takes my hand, "I'll try harder, I promise. Soon I'll be on break and we can spend every day together."

A smile creeps onto my face. "okay," I say meekly and Tyler pulls me into a hug, kissing my cheek. 

I hear rustling and I open my eyes and look over Tyler's shoulder to meet vivid blue ones. I pull away from Tyler quickly. 

Luke grins, dropping his keys inot his pocket. "Afternoon, Allie," he says.

Tyler looks between me and Luke, and back again. 

Luke looks at Tyler and his smirk grows, "You must be Tyler," he says. "I'm Luke." He reaches out to shake Tyler's hand. "I've heard so much about you."

I internally cringe, and Tyler shakes Luke's hand. 

"And I've heard nothing about you..." Tyler trails off, shifting his gaze to me. 

"Alaska and I work together, and we also happen to be neighbours. Isn't that right, Allie?"

I look at my feet. After a successful week of ignoring Luke, I thought he had gotten the message that I really don't want to associate with him. 

"Oh," Tyler says, "Very nice."

"So I hear you're a photographer?"

Oh, god. 

"Yeah," Tyler replies.

"That's very interesting."

Jesus christ, I'm actually afraid to look up from my feet. 

"What sort of work do you do?" Luke asks. 

"Just anywhere they need help, really.."

"Oh, that's cool."

"Yeah it is. What do you do?"

"Oh, I work in accounting."

"You don't work," I interject. "You just bother me."

Tyler looks at Luke. "He bothers you?" He asks me, his tone cold. 

"He just throws paper at me." I say, and Luke smiles crookedly. 

Tyler looks at me. "Well, we have somewhere to be. I'll see you round, Luke."

"Alright. have a good night." Luke says, and I'm surprised by how polite he is being. 

Tyler takes my hand and we begin to walk down the hall. 

"Oh, and Alaska?"

I turn around to look at Luke, Tyler stopping as well. 

"If anything should come up, I'd be happy to give you a ride again." Luke smirks. 

I blush. 

"What does he mean?" Tyler asks.

"Nothing," I snap. I tug Tyler's arm and we get into the elevator, the doors shutting behind us. 

I'm admittedly furious at Luke. How dare he say that in front of Tyler? I can only imagine what Tyler is thinking.

Dinner goes smoothly and Tyler drops me home, kissing me at the door. He hasn't asked me about what Luke said before, and for that I am glad. We say our goodbyes and he kisses my cheek, before turning and starting to walk down the hall. He stops and looks back at me. 

"Alaska, do me a favour?"

"Sure."

His reply takes me by surprise. "Stay away from Luke."

"What?"

"I don't trust him. Just... Keep your distance, okay?"

I nod. "I don't like him anyway."

Tyler smiles. "Good. See you later, Las."

I watch him get into the elevator and the doors shut. As soon as he is out of sight, I storn across the hall and pound on Luke's door. 

Luke opens the door, astonished at my intensity. "Alaska?"

"How dare you say that you'll give me another ride in front of Tyler!? He probably thinks I'm cheating or something!"

Luke smirks. "It was just an offer, Allie. No need to get pissy."

"God, stop calling me Allie!"

Luke folds his arms over his chest. "And if I don't?" He challenges. 

"Then...I'll... Um."

He smiles coolly.

"You're such an asshole, Luke! You go out of your way to make me angry, and I'm sick of it. Why don't you just leave me alone!?"

He steps back, eyes darkening at my words. Anger quickly engulfs his features. "Alright. I'll leave you alone, Allie. But let me tell you, Tyler's hiding something."

"What the hell do you know!? And why do you even care!? Tyler would never hurt me!" I say, balling my hands into fists. 

"Oh please, I couldn't give a shit if Tyler hurt you!"

Something inside of me deflates. He is so disdainful, it honestly shocks me. I turn and walk back into my apartment, slamming the door. 

Oh please, I couldn't give a shit if Tyler hurt you.

Good. I wouldn't need Luke if Tyler hurt me, anyway.