t w e n t y n i n e

My apartment is utterly ruined. 

Everything is strewn from it's place. Books lay open on the floor, blankets and pillows from the couches are ripped apart and thrown everywhere. The cabinets in the kitchen are all open and pots and pans lie in random places. The window is thrown wide open, the lilac curtains blowling in the breeze. Glass lays all over the ground. 

I rush into my bedroom. My bed that was neatly made this morning is now disheveled. The sheets are wrinkled and the pillows are all over the place. A picture of Tyler and I lays on the floor, one large crack straight down the middle.

Tears build in my eyes as I struggle to get my phone out of my purse. It bustle around my apartment, scouting for anything that may be missing. It surprises me when I realise that nothing (apart from my dishes that lay broken on the foor), is missing. They didn't take anything. 

There is a loud bang at the front door, and Luke walks into my apartment, worry evident on his face. 

"Alaska? What--" He takes in the appearance of my home and shuts his mouth, a piece of paper crumpling in his fist.

I sit on the couch, burying my head in my hands. "It's weird," I say. "I think I've been robbed, but they didn't take anything."

I feel Luke sit beside me. He puts an arm around my shoulders and pulls me into him, and I bury my head in his chest, covering his All Time Low band shirt with my salty tears. 

"Who would have done this?" I ask. "Why would they just ransack the apartment and leave?"

Luke stiffens beside me. He stands up, turning his back to me as he looks at the harbour throught the window of my living room. That piece of paper is still clenched hard in his fist. I wonder what it says?

"Luke?" I ask. 

Luke turns towards me slightly, looking at the floor. "It was..." He clears his throat. "Drew and his men."

My breathing hitches in my throat and my blood runs cold. "What?"

"They came here because they think you know something, they think you're hiding information. They're assuming that I've told you confidential facts when they're damn bloody wrong!" He shouts, anger filling his eyes. 

"What do we do?"

"We stay away from each other," he answers simply. 

My heart involuntarily drops into my chest, but I nod slowly. 

"However, we both know that won't happen, will it?" Luke's eyes don't leave mine as he speaks. 

I feel my pulse quicken as he sits down next to me. I don't entirely know what he means by his words, but I am somehow comforted by them. 

"Are you alright?" He asks quietly, just above a whisper.

"Yeah," I answer, exhaling slowly. 

"I think I'm gonna call the police," I say.

"Don't," Luke warns. "Don't call the police."

"Why?"

"Trust me, it'll only make it worse?"

"Trust you?" I almost scoff. 

Luke looks at me with apprehension in  his eyes. "You don't trust me?"

"I don't have a valid reason to"

"Back to this, are we?"

"Stop trying to act like a hero. I didn't even invite you over, you just walked in!