t w e n t y f o u r

Adrenaline pumps through my veins as I walk over to the file cabinet I saw Adams put my information into earlier. I silently slide open the drawer, examining the files before me. They're alphabetised by last name, as I expected. I skim the tops for 'H', and finally find it.

Hemmings, Lucifer Robert

Is this it? I wage an internal battle as I stare at the labeled folder in my hands.

I swallow the lump in my throat and pull the file out, the smooth manila folder resting in my hands.

This is the moment of truth.

I flip open the file, my eyes gazing over the information.

Born in Sydney, New South Whales, Australia on 16th July 1993. Educated at Nowest Christian College and the university of Sydney with degrees in mathematics and calculations. Past occupations include--"

"Alaska?"

The file is dropped from my hands, papers scattering everywhere. I widen my eyes at the sight of Luke, or should I say, Lucifer, standing in the doorway of Adams' office with his arms crossed firmly over his chest.

I straighten up, brushing myself off. "Luke."

Luke licks his lips and walks over to me, bending down to pick up his file. He slowly rises to his full height, eyes unreadable.

He hasn't said anything yet, and honestly, it terrifies me.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"Sorry," he repeats in a low, mocking voice. "You're sorry." He looks up at me with blazing eyes.

I stay silent as he runs his tongue across his lip ring, looking back down at the folder in his hands. My heart pounds loudly in my chest.

"Are you aware that this is a serious felony?" He asks slowly, shutting the folder and placing it back in the cabinet. His tone eerily calm.

"You know, when I heard you talking to Calum I figured you were just curious," Luke says as he steps towards me, leaving only a foot of space between us. "But now that I've caught you with my confidential file..." He shakes his head, his eyes mean. "I see that you're just nosy."

"I-I'm sorry," I stammer.

"Alaska, you need to mind your own fucking business. Yes, I understand that you've had bad ancounters with people I'm involved with. Yes, I know that you know more than you should, but that isn't an excuse for you to snoop around my confidential file after hours!"

"I'm Sorry!" I shout. "I'm sorry that you baffle me and that you are so secretive that my curiosity is eating me alive!"

"You could have asked me anything that was in that file," he says.

"You wouldn't have told me shit, and you know it!"

"Why does that matter to you, Alaska? Why do I matter!?" He asks, his eyes such a dark shade or blue, they're almost black in the dim light.

"I should turn you in for this," he says, turning his back on me and walking over to the window. "But I won't," he says, looking back at me.

I want to question him as to why, but instead I turn my head and pace away from him. There is nothing I can say to him that could truly justify my actions.

Why did I think I could get away with something like this? I'm such an idiot. A nosy, stupid idiot.

By the time I reach the ground floor, I'm completely out of breath. I mentally curse at myself for wearing heels, and I head outside to look for Tyler's car.

Luke storms out of the building shortly after me, his expression surprisingly calm as he approaches me. I look away, but he touches my chin and tilts my head up to look into his eyes. His touch sends volts of electricity through my body, his skin warm and comforting. He drops his hand to his side and stares at me, his gaze intense.

"Do I scare you?" He asks.

"What?"

"Do I scare you?" He repeats.

"No," I say, shaking my head stubbornly.

"I don't care if you tell me the truth," he says.

"I already told you," I say. "You don't scare me, why would you?"

Something in his eyes shift when I say that, and he turns and walks away.

I take out my phone to call Tyler. Honestly, it won't surprise me if he forget me again. If he doesn't pick up, I'm so done with him, my mind says.

And he doesn't pick up.

"Dammit!" I curse into the wind, shoving my phone back in my pocket. I sit on a nearby bench and put my head in my hands. Why would I think Tyler would pick me up after all the times he's forgotten me? He won't change, he can't. He was bullshitting me the other night when he promised he would pick me up. I should have known.

I hear a noise beside me, and I look up to see Luke sitting on the bench next to me. I have no idea what he's still doing here. Seconds ago he was yelling at me, and now he's completely calm.

"I am so fucking sick of getting put second! I'm sick of being told that a stupid photography internship means more than I do! I'm sick of compromising, I'm sick of being stood up, I'm sick of being nice to everyone, I'm sick of following the rules, and I'm sick of bloody watermelon flavoured gum!" I blurt, letting out a sigh after my big rant.

Luke doesn't say anything, just pullsa pack of mint gum from his pocket and hands me a piece. As mucha s I try to hide it, a small smile appears on my face. The mint gum is sweet on my tongue as I chew it, and I can practically feel Luke's presence radiating heat next to me.

"So, are you going to dump him?" He asks quietly.

"I don't know," I shrug. "Aside form his job, he's great--"

"Bullshit!" He calls me out.

I look down at my lap, knowing that he's right. "I just can't break up with him," I whisper.

"Course you can," Luke says. "You're just afraid of being alone."

"No I'm not."

"You are, it's obvious. The guy treats you like absolute shit, and yet you still cling to him."

"I'm not clinging to him," I snap. "I could leave him any time."

"Then do it," Luke challenges. "I know you want to."

"But, I think I might love him, Luke."

Luke snorts, "All right."

"What?"

"You're lyring; to me, to him, to yourself. Don't let this guy push you around, Alaska. You're better than that."