s e v e n t e e n

Why Luke brings up my relationship, I don't know. "Yes," I lie. "I'm going to tell him tonight." I don't even have any idea where Tyler is. He is most likely at work, so I'll call him tonight. That is, if I ever get out of this god damnbed elevator. 

"Oh," Luke says. I can't really decipher the tone in his voice. 

"Why do you even care?" I ask. 

"I don't."

"Well you're sure acting like it."

"Well I've always been a shitty actor."

"Just tell me why."

Luke sighs, rubbing his face with his hands. "You don't give up, do you?"

I shake my head. 

Luke looks at the ceiling. I take it as though he's not going to elaborate on anything you said before, so I turn and look away from him. "If only smoking was allowed in elevators," he says after a while. 

"It's broken already," I say. 

He looks at me with amusement in his eyes, a small smile playing on his lips. "You smoke, Allie?"

"No," I say. "Not anymore."

"You used to?" He asks, raising his eyebrows. 

"Yeah, in hight school."

Luke nods. "Wow," he says.

"Why is that so hard to believe?" I ask.

"Because you're you."

"So?"

"So, you seem as though if someone offered you a smoke, you'd pass out."

I scoff. "I can take a cigarette, Luke. You underestimate me."

"Apparently."

I scoff. I could really use a cigarette right now. Luke makes me want to take up smoking again, with all this stress he causes me. I was never really addicted, it was just something I did from time to time. I don't think I'll ever let myself get addicted to anything; I hate not having self control.

"How much longer are we going to be in here?" I ask, and Luke shruge. 

I lean my back against the wall. The temperature seems to be rising in the small space, and Luke rolls up his sleeves. My eye catches the black ink that covers his forearms. 

"You have tattoo?" I ask. 

Luke turns his arm around so he can look at them. "Yep," he replies.

"I didn't know that," I say. I have seen him in shirts before, but I never really payed enough attention to notice them. 

"How about you? Got any tattoos?" He asks. 

"Yes, actually," I reply proudly. 

"Liar."

"I'm not lying!" 

"Where is it then?" 

"On the back of my shoulder." 

"No shit," Luke says, his expression humerous. "Look at you, Allie. Smoking and having tattoos."                                                                  

"See, I told you that you know nothing about me," I say smugly. "That file doesn't know shit." 

Luke smiles, "I guess not."

With a small smile on my lips, I turn to look at Luke. "Can I ask you something?" 

"Shoot."

"Why were you so rude to me when we first met?"

"I'm rude to everyone."

"I don't think that's true. You went out of your way to be extra rude to me, and you know it."

Luke frowns, "Alright then. You really want to know why?" He asks, and I nod. 

"I was rude, because I know what kind of a person you are. You've got a perfect life. You're smart, you've got a good job, you've got a good boyfriend. You don't give a shit about anyone who isnt 'up to your standards'. You're a snob, Allie. A fucking snob. And I knew it from the first moment I saw you bringing all those boxes up to that apartment when you first moved in. You wanted to know the reason? Wel there is your god damnbed reason."

If feels as though I've been slapped. I didn't know that Luke was so quick to judge. Anger burns like a fire in my veins. "You know, you're really one to talk," I snap. "You didn't even make an attempt to get to know me before judging me like that. At least tried to be nice, but look where that got me. I may not know you that well, Luke, but at least I didn't judge you before I even met you!" I stand to my feet, not wanting to be in Luke's proximity. 

"I didn't judge you, I didn't have to. You're proving to me right now that you are as pretentious as I originally thought!" Luke get to his feet aswell, eyes blazing with anger. 

"Well, you're an asshole, and you go out of your way to piss people off!" I say.

"Well at least I'm not in love with an idiot!"

"Tyler isn't an idiot!"

"Well, obviously he is if he can put up with you!" 

I can't help myself. I take a large step forward and slap Luke right across the face. He puts a hand to his cheek, shock evicent in his features. He looks back at me before grabbing my wrists and pushing me against the wall of the elevator, cornering me. 

"Want to try that again, Allie?" He hisses. 

"You deserved it!" I snap. "And don't call me Allie."

Luke narrows his eyes, his face only inches away from mine. His hot breath fanning my face. I stare into his eyes, the blue darker than usual.

"I'm not afraid of you," I speak confidently.

"Not yet, you aren't," he says, letting me go and facing his back towards me. 

Shivers run down my spine, "What do you mean?"

Luke laughs darkly, avoiding my question. "Why don't you just stay away from me, Alaska?"

"Because you always show up," I say. "Trust me, I would love nothing more than to never see you again."

Luke turns to face me again, anger blazing through his eyes. 

"Be careful what you wish for."