t h i r t y o n e

When I wake up in the morning, I'm layed lengthways on the couch, wrapped snugly in a blanket. The events of the night before flood back to my memory; how Luke and I decided to be friends and we both fell asleep on the couch. He must of moved me when he woke up.

I hear a hushed voice speaking around me.

"Yes, I got the god damnbed note," Luke says. He must be on the phone. "Look, she has nothing to do with it, at all. Just leave her alone."

"She's not a part of this! What do I have to do for you to leave her be!?"

There's a pause.

"I haven't told her shit, why don't you believe me?" Luke asks, raising his voice.

He sighs, "Fuck," he curses under his breath. "Alright, I'll be there by three."

I assume he hangs up, because a large string of curses emits from his mouth.

What note? What is he doing today at three?

I yearn to find out, but I know I would be risking our newly found friendship if I snoop.

A few minutes later, the smell of bacon and eggs engulfs my senses and I sit up, squinting at the time on the D.V.R.

10:42 am.

"Ah, you're up," Luke smiles at me from the kitchen, where he is sizzling strips of bacon in the frying pan. He wears his usual black skinny jeans and a black tank top with 'destroy yourself, see who gives a fuck' written on it.

"About time, too," he says, placing some bacon rashes on my plate. "I thought you'd gone into hibernation."

This nice side of Luke is one that I'm unaccustomed to, and it takes me a moment to respond.

"You could of woken me," I say, standing from the couch. I look at myself in the mirror and realize that I'm still wearing my jeans and sweater from yesterday.

"I went to your apartment and brought you back some fresh clothes," Luke says, motioning to the coffee table. "I thought you'd want to change."

I look down at the coffee table, and sure enough, jean shorts and and an oversized sweater are neatly folded. I pick them up, smiling at Luke's thoughtfulness.

"Thanks," I say, trying to hold in a laugh. Luke went to my apartment to get me clothes? Who is this person and what have you done with Luke?

Luke raises his eyebrows at me. "Something funny?"

"No," I say. "I'll just go get changed."

I lock myself in the bathroom and stare at my reflection. I quickly change into the light blue shorts and cream coloured, long sleeved sweater. I let my brown hair fall in natural waves as I exit the bathroom.

I remember the phone call I overheard this morning. I can't let Luke know that I heard.

"So," I say as Luke hands me breakfast. "What are you up to today?"

Luke shrugs. "Not alot. What about you?"

"I need to go grocery shopping," I say, and groan.

"Sounds like a blast," Luke says scarcastically, pulling out his phone and scrolling through it.

I nod and continue eating. I want to know so badly where he is going this afternoon. It feels as though it's eating me alive.

I help Luke clean the dishes when I'm done. He leans back against the counter and folds his arms loosely across his chest.

"Thanks for letting me stay here," I say quietly.

"Well, I am kind of the reason all of that happened, so..." He says sadly, looking at the ground.

"No you're not," I say. "Don't blame yourself."

Luke doesn't say anything as I walk to the door, my clothes from yesterday folded in my arms.

"I guess I'll see you at work then?" I ask.

He nods again and shoots me a half smile. I unlock my apartment and gasp when I see everything is back in it's place.

Everything is neatly back in it's place. The pillows are arranged perfectly on the couch, and the dishes are all back in the cabinets. I walk into mmy bedroom, and the bed is all made and the pictures are back on my bedside table. The picture of Tyler and I still has that crack down the middle, though. I guess I'll have to get a new frame for that.

I put my things down and walk back into the living room. Luke must of done this when he came to get me frsh clothes. My eyes catch on to a piece of paper hanging off the back of the front door.

Allie,

Sorry about the mess the other day. Thought you might want some help cleaning it up.

- Luke

The gesture is so nice, I barely even notice that he calls me 'Allie'. I fold the note and put it neatly in my back pocket.

I gather my things back up and exit my apartment, making sure to lock the door behind me. I get into my car and drive to the store, thinking of how I fell asleep next to Luke last night.

Would Tyler be upset? I mean, it's not like anything happened. I just fell asleep, and so did he. No big deal, right?

I park my car at the Safeway and walk into the store, pulling up my shopping list on my phone. I walk through the aisles, pulling different things from the shelves and putting them in my cart. I check the time, two o'clock. There's only an hour before Luke has to go about his secret business.