t w e n t y s e v e n

I look out the window as we drive home. Luke is silent, for obvious reasons. His jaw is locked, hands gripping the steering wheel like a vice. 

Why did he kiss me? Does that mean he likes me? And what did he mean when he said he feels like the 'second choice'? Honestly, he acts like he hates me ninety percept of the time, and the other ten percent he just annoys me. 

But the part that scares me the most is that I kissed him back. I pulled him closer. I let him kiss me. And I enjoyed it. 

How could I have done that? I have Tyler. I don't like Luke like that... right?

Does this mean I cheated on Tyler? Luke is the one who kissed me, but then again I did kis him back. A wave of guilt crashes through me like a tsunami, and I lean my forehead against the cold window. 

"Don't fall asleep in my car," Luke says in a monotone, eyes flicking over to me briefly. 

I sigh, I yearn to ask him why he kissed me that way, and why he's being so cold now. 

We arrive back at the apartment building and I hastily get out of the car, not even waiting for Luke to catch up to me. I decide against an awkward elevator and decide to take the stairs, my heels clicking on the concrete steps. 

As I reach the first floor, I hear someone else begin to climb the stairs behind me. I stop and turn to see Luke standing there, his eyes cast down as he catches up to me. 

He stops and looks me in the eyes, his expression blank. He looks like he wants to say something, and he looks down. "That wasn't supposed to happen," he whispers.

I nod. "I know," I say, biting my lip.

"Are you going to tell him?"

Am I? It would be the right thing to do. But a part of me wants to keep the encounter between Luke and I to ourselves. 

"No," I say after a while. 

"Why not?" Luke says, his tone challenging. 

"I have a feeling he has secrets of his own..."

"I thought you said he'd never hurt you?"

"I don't even know anymore."

i feel as though I should say more, anything more. Luke confuses and baffles me to no end, but that's the thing about mysteries; they're made to be solved.