t w e n t y e i g h t

I scribble lines to songs down, trying desperately to focus.

'But hold your breath,

Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you,

Over again, don't make me change my mind.

Or I won't live to see another day, I swear it's true.

Because a guy like you is impossible to find,

You're impossible to find.'

Luke hasn't spoken to me, or even aknowledged me, at all today. He swivels around in his chair, occasionally biting the end of the pen. I know he sees me staring, but he doesn't return my gaze.

I'm dying to talk to him; to ask what happened between us. Does he even know? He insulted and snapped at me countless times, so why would he kiss me?

And why on Earth did I enjoy it?

"Pssst."

I snap my gaze away from Luke and look over to Calum.

"You alright?" He questions.

I nod. "Just distracted,' I say.

"By Hemmings?" Calum smirks.

I quickly shake my head. "Oh... no... Just, these lyrics are really shitty," I lie.

Calum chuckles, "Yeah, every once in a while you get a flop. You best just toss it now and go for the good ones."

I nod, "Thanks."

Calum returns to his own work and my eyes flicker to the clock on the wall. 10:30. Lunch break isn't for another hour and a half. I decide I need coffee and get up to make my way to the break room.

Luckily, the pot of coffee on the machine is still warm, and I pour myself a mug. I add milk to my coffee, the warm liquid slides down my throat and I instantly feel calmer.

Somebody enters the break room, and I turn around to see Skylar standing there. She shoots me a friendly smile, her soft ombré locks are curled to perfection and her hazel eyes squint as she smiles.

"Any coffee left? She asks.

"A bit," I say, leaning against the counter,

"It's just a coffee kind of day, isn't it?" She asks.

"I couldn't agree more."

We laugh a bit as Skylar pours herself a mug.

"So," she begins. "Calum is taking me out to dinner on Friday night," she says, blushing.

I shove her jaw lightly, my jaw dropping. "Seriously!? This is amazing!"

She nods and laughs, her cheeks tinting a light shade of pink.

"When did he ask you?" I inquire.

"Yesterday after work. He was so nervous, god you should've seen him."

"How cute," I say, grinning.

Skylar nods and blushes again. "So how are you and Tyler?" She asks, wiggling her eyebrows.

"He's okay, I guess," I say, my smile fading. "we're just going through some things, I guess."

"I hope you work everything out," she says earnestly.