t h i r t y f i v e

I sit down at my desk on Moday morning with a big sigh.

I had a bad case of insomnia last night, and I couldn't get to sleep for the life of me. I finally drifted off at about four in the morning. I feel like death.

Luke eyes me from his desk. I open my folder of songs and click open my red pen. 

I notice Calum isn't ay his desk, and I turn to Matilda.

"Psst," I whisper and she looks up.

"Where's Calum?" I ask.

Matilda shrugs. "I think he's sick today," she says and I nod.

The events of the weekend are still fresh in my mind. Following Luke to the meeting, hearing that Calum, one of my good friends, is actually in on this whole thing. And who could forget everything Luke told me about Drew. 

Why would Calum be against me? Is he against me? Was he really the one to break into my apartment, or did I hear that wrong?

I sincerely hop he wasn't, because I've grown to like Calum alot over these past few weeks. He always talks to me from across my desk, and seems like a genuinely nice person. 

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and scribble in some editing marks to some lyrics. I know I must look like hell from my lack of sleep, but at the moment, I don't reall care.

My thoughts drift to Tyler. I haven't talked to him in  few days, I should call him during lunch. I hope he doesn't think I'm ignoring him or something.

A piece of crumpled paper lands on my desk, startling me. I jump slightly and Luke smirks at me from his desk as he leans back in his chair.

I unfold the note.

Meet me on the roof at lunch
-L

I nod at him throw the note in the trash. If it weren't for my damned curiosity, I wouldn't agree. But of course, even after Luke has told me about Drew and his business, I still feel the need to know all the juicy details. I hate being so nosy.

I try to turn my focus back to my work, but I can't. Luke doesn't even try either, he just sits there playing with a ball of blu tack. 

Finally, twelve o'clock arrives and I get up to follow Luke to the roof. He smiles at me as everyone files out of the office and into the break room for lunch. 

"Roof?" I ask him once we're the only ones left in the office area.

"It's not raining today, so we should be fine," he says, as if that answers my question.

"Why can't we just go into the break room like everyone else?"

"Because we need to talk about something."

His words send shivers down my spine, and I nod faintly.

"Follow me, alright?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm capable of following you, if that's what you're implying," I snap.

"Oh, yes I know you are. You've made that quite clear to me, recently."

I frown at his referece to when I have followed him twice to events I shouldn't have. And I got caught both times.

I follow Luke out of the office complex and into the elevator. 

"Don't you freaking dare push all the buttons," I warn.

"Relax, Alaska," he says and rolls his eyes as he pushes the button for the fifteenth floor.

The elevator ride is silent, and soon it dings and the doors open. Luke strides out, and I have to jog a bit to catch up with his fast pace. 

"Would you wait up?" I huff.

"Nope," Luke replies, rounding the corner as he starts to climb up another flight of stairs. 

"Why are we even--"

"Quit complaining, Allie. Before I push you off this roof."

I grimace at his teasing and follow him to the top of the stairs.

When we reach the top, a large smile spreads itself across my face. 

All around us is the Sydney Harbour, bustling is the afternoon sunshine. A small bench sits on the side, overlooking the whole city. The navy blue waters of the Harbour gleaming in the distance. 

"This is nice," I say, taking a seat on the bench. 

"I know," he agrees. "It's peaceful up here.

"Do you come up here alot?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Occasionally, when my life is particular annoying," he says, looking at me from the corner of his eye. "So I've been up here alot since I met you." 

"Hey!" I say, smacking his arm playfully. "I'm not that annoying."

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that Allie."

I roll my eyes at the use of the nickname, and swallow down the horrible memories beginning to arise.

"Why did you bring me up here?" I ask.

"I talked to Drew yesterday..." Luke says, looking down.

"Oh," I say, stiffening. 

"Things aren't looking good," he says, his jaw clenching. 

"What do you mean?" I say, my voice craking.

"I mean, now that he caught you evesdropping on that meeting... he knows that you know something."

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him that you didn't hear anything you shouldn't have, only information regarding yourself. He's not entirely convinced, but he's not coming after you yet, so that's a good thing."

"He's coming after me? What does he want? What is he going to do with me? Is he going to kill me!?" I sound hysterical. 

"Alaska, calm down," Luke says, putting a hand on my thigh. I'd never admit it to anyone, but a fire erupts inside of me when he touches me. "I'm going to keep talking to him, and I'll convince him you don't know anything."

"You never told me what you do... with the organisaion."

Luke takes his hand off my leg and leans back in the chair. "I manage funds, much like I do here at Capitol," he says. "I divide the income into what Drew keep and what goes to other companies," he says, looking down at his lap. 

"It's frauud, you know," I say.

"I know... I'm not exactly proud of it Alaska."

"Then why do you do it?"

Luke pauses for a moment, running his tongue a=over his lips. "Why do I do it?" He laughs dryly. "It's a very long story, Alaska. And I'm not prepared to tell it. Besides, lunch is over in fifteen minutes."

Something suddenly dawns over me. "That time you caught  me going over your file," I say frantically, turning to Luke. "You didn't turn me in, because you've been breaking the law yourself, and--"

"And I wouldn't want anyone to turn me in."

"Why don't you just stop?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"I can't," he says, looking out at the city. "Drew won't have it. I know all his secrets, and he doesn't really trust me anymore because... well, since you.

"So there's no way for you to escape?" 

Luke turns to face me, his eyes boring into mine. "There is one."