t w e l v e

Luke eyes me from his desk, his blue irises darker than usual as he chews on the end of his pen.

I focus on my work, still mad at him for what he said last night. I suppose I may have been irritable as well, but to be honest I don't care what Luke thinks of me.

Right?

It's two o'clock, and lunch break has just ended. I ate with Calum, Skylar, Matilda and Annie, as usual. I settle into my desk and begin my work for this afternoon.

A piece of paper coming from Annie's direction lands on my desk. I unfold it quietly.

Why does Hemmings keep staring at you?

I look up at Annie, who just raises her eyebrows. I shrug and toss the paper in the trash. I honestly don't know why he is staring at me, and I had been doing my best to try and ignore it.

A phone rings from the HR section of the office, and the quiet hum of work carries throught the environment. Of course, aside from Luke, who is still chewing on his pen as though his life depends on it.

Suddenly, a loud sound emits from Luke's desk. I lift my gaze to look at him.

"Shit," he breathes. He stands quickly, grabbing his coat and packing his things hurriedly. He doesn't give anyone a second glance as he walks into Mr Connery's office, shutting the door behind him.

"What was that about?" I ask Calum.

Calum shrugs, not looking at me.

Luke bursts out of Mr Connery's office and into the elevator, obviously in a hurry.

Curiosity sparks inside me. Since he knows so much about me from that stupid file, shouldn't I be allowed to find out a bit about him? I purse my lips and collect my things, walking into Mr Connery's office.

"Afternoon, Alaska," he greets.

"Hello," I say, "I was wondering if I could leave early today? I have a doctors appointment." I say, shocked at how easily the lie rolls off of my tongue.

"Sure, no problem."

"Thankyou." I say, turning on my heel and speed walking out of his office and into the elevator.

I step out of the elevator on the ground floor, my eyes sweeping the lobby for Luke. I see him step outside and I quickly follow him, making sure I stay out of his sight. If he sees me, my mini mission will fail.

He walks past the parking lot and down the street, rounding the corner. I walk behind other people on the side walk, keeping a close eye on Luke. He ducks into a small alley off the side of the street, looking around himself cautiously. I step behind a tall man talking on the phone as Luke's eyes pass where I am. Once he continues walking, I hurry into the alley, stepping behind a parked car.

Luke walks up to a man not quite as tall as him, with dirty blonde hair and quite a bit of stubble. He has multiple scars on his face, one on his chin and a jagged one across his forehead. I actually get goosebumps at his appearance.

A boy with lilac coloured hair and light green eyes stands next to him, arms crossed over his chest.

Luke sticks his hands in his pockets, his expression hard.

"I got your message," he says.

"Good," the scarred man says.

"I don't know what this is about, Drew," Luke says. "I've been going over the numbers and--"

"The numbers are down, Hemmings. That's what this is about." The scarred man, 'Drew,', snaps.

"I cannot control what the numbers do," Luke says.

"No," Drew agrees, "But you can monitor them so that they don't get so low!"

"I was dealing with something at Capitol Records," Luke says, "They'll be up by next week."

"We've gone over this," Drew says, "Us first, them Capitol second. You hear me?"

"It won't happen again," Luke says.

"We're loosing money, and fast. If you're as smart as you say you are, you better bloody step up your game," Drew says.

Luke clenches his jaw. It's weird for me to see Luke actually listening to someone for a change, he's usually so defiant and disobedient. The way he's looking at the ground just makes him seem so submissive.

Drew and the boy with the coloured hair swifty turn and start walking over to where I am. Shit, this must be their car I'm hiding behind. My heart races and I sprint out of the alley at lightning speed, standing on the sidewalk and pulling my phone out, pretending to have been there the whole time.

The black car pulls out, speeding away.

Luke emerges from the alley moments later. I turn around. If he sees me, it's all over.

I give it a few moments and turn around slowly. Luke is gone. I sigh in relief and begin walking back to Capitol to get my car.

What was that whole encounter about? Why did Luke act so weird? And what are 'the numbers'?

I hate feeling like a nosy bitch, but suriosity bursts like fireworks in my chest.

But the way that man looked was so.... Serious. What if this isn't all fun and games? What if this is something dangerous that Luke is involved in?

I finally make it back to Capitol. Making my way back to my car, I notice that Luke's is already gone.