Chapter 1

"Come on! Get up Sage! We're gonna be late for practise!" My teammate Thea says, smacking me with a pillow. I groan but tumble out of bed and tug my black leggings and maple leaf t-shirt on. I do my morning routine, grab my hockey bag and take the elevator down to the lobby. I see my other teammates standing around but they don't really like me at the moment. So I don't bother talking to any of them. Instead, I find a nice bench in the corner and wait for coach like everyone else. Some stare and snicker but I'm so used to it now that I really don't give a fuck.

I hear a big commotion near the elevator, signaling Thea brutner had just gotten off the elevator. I roll my eyes. That girl did everything she could to make everyone hate my guts and not to mention crown herself the captain of our team. I honestly don't know why she hates me to much. Maybe it's the fact that Mitch Marner is my cousin and not gonna lie... I think that girl is obsessed with him. It's kinda creepy. Ya know, you'd think that she would want to be my friend to get to him...but I think she just jealous. And with the captain thing...Coach even thought I deserved it because I was voted first in the entire U19 Canadian women's league. But somehow Thea convinced him that she deserved more than I did. But hey, its still kinda early in the season and not to late to make coach change his mind.

We play for the Toronto Bulls. That's right, born and raised in TO... with a Finnish back round. I'm actually the only one in my family other than Mitch who didn't go to Finland after our grandpa died. He and my grandma lived there and my family thought it was best to stay with her after everything happened. Me and Mitch however, kinda had to stay behind because of our careers. We do fly back every once in a while in the summer and when we get breaks in between games.

The only reason we're staying in a hotel is because our coach thought it would be a good way to get to know each other. And sure enough, I'm stuck being roommates with Thea. It's not like we got to chose who we roomed with and its not like I cared. My best friend or now my only friend on the team moved out of the country to Australia cause her dad got a big job promotion there. And ever since she moved, I was alone and I still am.

"Alright ladies time to go! Everyone board the bus outside!" Coach Benny yells as he steps out of the elevator. Everyone races to the hotel doors to get the good seats at the front. I get off my bench and drag my hockey bag to the bus. I leave it with everyone elses, in front of the bus and hop in. I trud straight to the back, ignoring all the stares and giggles as I pass all of the girls. I sit by myself and put my beats headphones on, listening to my playlist the whole ride.

Once we get to the arena, everyone get their bags from the compartment under the bus. We go to our dressing room and get ready. I'm the first one ready, as usual, so I stand at the boards and wait for the zamboni to finish. I'm about to open the latch on the door when I'm pushed to the side. "Hey watch it!" I yell, taking off my mouth guard. "Then move out of the way bitch!" Thea yells and the girls laugh and snicker to each other. I huff and jump on the ice. I do some stretches and laps while watching the girls judge me. I shrug them off, I don't need their bullshit right now.

"Okay ladies! Lets do some drills!" Coach says, skating to the center of the ice. We all take a knee around him and listen as he give the instructions. "Hey Sage!" I hear Melly say. I turn around. Melly wasn't always exactly nice to me, but she's not as bad compared to the others. "That was a really bitchy thing to do to Thea." She says with a sad smile. I give her a confused look, "Huh? What did I do?" She just stares at me, "You know what you did Sage." "Alright everyone got that?" Coach says. Shit. I follow Melly to the side of the rink, where a bunch of pucks lay on the ice. I see the girls split up into two lines. "Umm...I think you're supposed to be over there." Melly whispers, pointing to the line that had less players. "Oh right...thanks." I say and skate over. The drill starts and I watch the first few players. All it is, is taking the puck off the other person and if you can't, you're out. When it's my turn, I have to take the puck off Carrie. Shes not the greatest on the team so I have no problem taking it off her and putting it in the net. "Very good Sage!" Coach says. I can't help but smile when Carrie rolls her eyes and sits off to the side.

I line up again and wait for my second turn, which I pass again. Now it's just me and Thea... Melly passes her a puck and she goes up against the boards. I thought we were supposed to keep the play in middle but I guess not. I smirk, that's what she wants, to make it 'hard' for me. I skate after her and nudge her against the boards. She groans, "You won't win this time bitch." I giggle, "We'll see about that!" I try to kick the puck with my skate and my stick...but it back fires admittedly. Thea's stick ends up in the side hole of my skate and I lose my balance. This gives her the perfect opportunity to shove me to the ice...hard. I scream and feel my head smack the ground. The rest is all a blur....

Okay... I know this might be confusing and I know Mitch isn't Finnish but it's like this... so pretty much Sage's dad is Finnish and her mom is gonna be Mitch's dad's sister, so she's half Finnish, half Canadian. And the grandpa who died is Sages mom and mitch's dad's dad, who happens to live in Finland right now with his wife ( the grandma) who grew up in Finland... omg, I'm really sorry if that doesn't make sense but that's the best way I can explain it.