Chapter 43

"Your gonna be great babe, you always are." Will kisses my forehead. "Score for me!" Steph hugs me. "Focus. You got this girl." Mitch says and softy punches my arm. I nod to them and part to the dressing room. I take deep breaths and put on a straight face as I walk in.

I take my usual seat. By myself in the back corner. "Look who's back." I hear Thea say. I roll my eyes. "Shouldn't I be saying that to you?" She smirks, "Haha very funny. Were you not going to tell us that William Nylander is your new boy toy?" Cringe. "It's none of you guys' business. Besides I doubt any of you would care." She scoffs, "We care when it comes to the NHL." I shake my head. She only wants a way in. Then Benny comes (just in time) in and tells us the lines and some plays and soon enough we head to the ice. I skate on the rink and do some stretches. I watch the other team skate on. Their from the states and are supposed to be really good. I sigh and skate some laps. The ref blows his whistle and the game starts at center. Of course Thea is starting because she's the 'captain'. I take a seat on the bench and watch.

"Get on loser!" Thea says and skates to the bench. I hope over the boards and we trade places. I chase after the puck and pass it to one of the forwards. She misses the shot and gives up the puck. "Ugh." I mumble and skate back. The other team dekes out our defense and scores. I slam my stick on the ice and head to center. I win the face-off and take the puck myself to the net. I get checked to the ground and they manage to score again. "Shit." I say out of breath. "Way to go dumb ass." Tory says and skates off. "Yeah put the blame on me." I roll my eyes. I follow and take a break. First period pretty much stays this way and by the end we're down 3-0.

Benny makes some line changes and we have a go at second. We skate on and win another face-off. This time Melly passes to me and I take a one-time shot. Scores! "Yeah!" I yell and point to her. I see Will, Steph, and Mitch cheering from the boards. "Sweet pass." I say and she smiles. I go off my shift and as Thea gets on, she slashes my knee pads. Don't know if that was a jealous slap or good goal. Probably the first one.

By the end of second, the score is 5-1. There's still third I guess. We take a break and get back on for the last time. When I get on, the puck lands in the corner of the boards so I fight for it. Tory nudges me, "Come on! How long does it take for you to get the damn puck!" I huff and slam my stick on the ice. "I'm done!" I scream, "Do ya wanna go?!" I put my gloves up. Yes I am threatening my own teammate but Tory is way far from being my teammate. "Bring it on Bitch!" She drops her stick to and I stare at her. I don't stand a chance. Tory is well ya know...tall and huge. I back up, still keeping my hands up. "Look girl, I'm with you." A girl from the other team says. I look at her in shock. "I heard what she's saying and that's no way to treat a teammate." I nod to her. Then another US player joins and soon all of them that are on the ice. "Back off." The girl who stuck with me says. Tory stares at the team in shock. The rest of my team skates up and everyone starts fighting.

Before I know it, Tory grabs me and knocks me to the ice. I groan and try to fight back but the US girl takes Tory on herself. I wiggle out of the mess and try to get everyone to stop. The refs blow their whistles and they stop. I drop to the ground dead tired and the game is discontinued. The US girl helps me up, or more like carries me off the ice. "That's quite a mess you have yourself into." She says. We walk to the dressing rooms. "Yeah it all started from when I joined the team. They never liked me. I dunno why." The girl nods, "I'm sorry." I shake my head, "I'm used to it. Thanks for stepping in though. That must have been weird." She laughs, "A little. But me and the girls would never let you suffer...your Sage Mckenna aren't you?" I nod. "You were on the news. They must have been the ones who 'attacked' you." I nod again. "My names Jen...you should come have dinner tonight with us." My eyes light up, "Really? I have a few friends who you might want to meet first." She smiles, "Sure."

We go our separate ways to the change rooms and meet again outside. Will, Steph, and Mitch are already waiting for me. "Baby! Oh my god are you ok?!" Will runs to me. "I'm ok." I giggle. He takes me into his arms. "That was insane!" Mitch says. Steph nods, probably feeling emotional. "Guys I want you to meet Jen. She really helped stand up for me. She's inviting us to dinner with her team tonight and I think we should go." I say. Jen smiles, not seeming to recognize them. "This is William Nylander my boyfriend, Mitch Marner my cousin, and Steph Lachance his girlfriend." She fist bumps each of them. "I'm a big fan of you guys. NHLers right?" Will and Mitch nod. "Sick. We're heading to a dinner party tonight. I'll text you the details Sage. It's private so don't worry about hiding." I nod and we hug. I thank her one last time and we head to the car.