Chapter 58

I wake up to everyone rushing around, getting their shit together. "Those are my gloves." Will says. "No I swear their mine. Look they have the smiley face." "Oh shit, sorry." I stretch my arms up and yawn. "She's awake." Steph says and literally drags me off the couch. I crash into the living room table and topple to the floor. "Ouch." I say and rub my head. "Oh my god! I"m so sorry." Steph says and helps me up. "Don't hurt our star Steph." Mitch says.  "Sorry I was excited." "No harm done." I say and head to my room to change. 

I get into the usual dry fit stuff and get my jacket on. "Your not gonna check your bag? That's brave." Mitch says. "Trust me I did many times yesterday." I say and swing it over my shoulder. "Are we ready?" Steph says and we out. 

My leg shakes the whole car ride and when we get to the rink, I freeze. "Come on babe! Let's go." Will says and I shake my head. "I...can't." I say. He stares at me and takes my hand. "Yes you can. They want you." I sigh and shakily get my bag. "I'll take this, you mentally get ready." He says and swings both our bags over his shoulder. "Wow. Your strong." I say. "Anything for you." He says and wraps an arm around my waist.

We walk all together but instead of me going with Steph to the box like balcony, I follow Will and Mitch to the dressing room. I enter behind them and everyone cheer when I walk in. "Hey Sage! Glad your here." Mike greets me. The guys woop again and I gulp. "You want to change here or have your own dressing room? Whatever your comfortable with is fine." Mike says. "She's staying here!" Auston yells. "Yea she ain't leaving." John says. They cheer again and I take a seat. "I'll stay, thank you." I say and scooch beside Willy.

 Babcock goes on about the drills but I'm to nervous to pay attention. I'll just follow everyone else. The guys start up random conversations and I chat with them. Usually the girls on my 'old' team wouldn't talk to me at all so this made me feel more confident. When it's time to go on, Will takes my hand but Mike looks at us disapprovingly so we part. For the drill he also puts us on separate teams which really sucks cause I wanted to spend ice time with him. Oh well though, I can see where babcock is coming from.

We warm up and practice some shooting. Some went in, some didn't. Freddy is an amazing goalie. After, we do some skating drills with pylons. I've never practiced with pylons before. It seems almost unprofessional but I go with it. Then we work on stick handling and the coaches came around to critique us. "To slow Mckena. Faster! Gain control, no!" An assistant coach yells at me.

 I pant and try to get a hold of myself. "Work on it!" He says and stares me down. I try again. I guess it's not to his liking so he makes me do it in a corner. I sigh, "Are you kidding?" I say. He glares at me and I smash my stick on the ice, "Your ridiculous!" I yell. "This is the NHL. You have to be better than best." He says calmly and skates away. I stare at him and scoff. "What an idiot." But I do what he says till it's time to play a game. 

Of course I'm put on the opposite team as Will and Mitch. But in a way that's a good thing cause now I can kick their butts. I face Mitch in a face off and win it, I back pass to Auston who skates up and passes back to me. I set the guys up to get a goal and John makes it in. "Yes!" I yell and he points to me. We fist bump the bench and wait for the next shift.

I get shoved around a lot, but nothing I'm not used to. I take the puck off Will and pass it up. "Nice babe." He says. I blow him a kiss and catch up with my team. I receive a pass and score on the back up goalie. The boys and I celebrate and then re group. I look over at the other bench and see Mike whisper something to Will who now looks uncomfortable but nods. I shake it off and pay attention to the game.

When I get on again, I see Will coming for me. I try to deke him out but he checks me hard. I pant and lay on the ice. He gives a sympathetic look and skates off. Thanks. Maybe Babcock had said something to him. Auston skates towards me but I get up on my own. I look over at Mike who's taking note on me. I grit my teeth and battle hard for the puck. I end up getting another goal, not long after and celly hard. I look him dead in the eyes and he orders for the goalies to be switched. 

I take a breath and skate to the bench but the assistant told me to stay on. "What?" I pant and he gestures to the puck sliding past me. I play defense and bring up the puck. I help keep it in and Zach hyman scores. 

After a few more shifts, about two hours has gone by and practice is over. The end score is 5-4 but Mike kept saying it didn't matter. We make it to the dressing room and change. "Here, this is your new equipment. Welcome to the team." Mike says and drops a maple leafs hockey bag in front of me. I stare at him speechless. "Are you serious?" I smile. He nods, "You impressed us all today. Your really good Sage." And with that, he walks away.

 I turn to Will and he looks upset. "What's wrong?" I say. "I had to hit you. I didn't want to." He says without looking at me. "Babe, it's ok. I'm fine. I got thick skin remember?" He looks into my eyes and I smile. "You don't want to know all the beat ups my body has been through. I can take a hit." He smiles and finishes packing up. I walk out with my new bag and give the old one to the team's charity. "Feel good yet?" Will smirks. "I feel amazing."