Chapter 13

We drive to a desert place near the paint ball park since we're all pretty hungry. We get a booth so we can all fit. I sit beside Will and in front of me is Stephanie. "Are you really okay though Sage?" Steph asks worriedly, "You fell pretty hard love." I nod, "No need to worry about me hun, I'm good." She smiles, "Good." A waitress comes and takes our orders. I get a waffle with ice cream and whip cream and Stephanie gets a fruit salad. I smile at her, "Are you seriously getting a fruit salad?" She shrugs, "Yeah..." Then she whispers, "I'm kinda insecure about weight and shit like that." I shake my head, "There's no need to, your beautiful." I say and reach out and caress her hand. She smiles, "Thanks Sage, but I don't know. I've always been a little on edge for that kind of stuff." I nod, "I get it though..." She nods, "It's the worst...this guy over here always tells me that I don't need to worry about it either but I can't help it, ya know." She gestures to Mitch who's sitting beside her, laughing about something with the boys. I nod, "I know...it's the worst feeling."

The waitress brings our food and I dig in, not thinking twice about it. I get ice cream all over my mouth but I really don't care. Willy chuckles, "Really enjoying that aren't you?" I smile and nod. He wipes my mouth with his napkin and I blush and shove his hand away. He laughs and kisses my lips before digging into his own desert, a sundae with a bunch of chocolate chips and caramel.

I glance at Stephanie who is picking at a watermelon piece in her fruit bowel. I cut a some of my waffle and pile it with the topping and push my plate towards her. "Try this, it's good." She smiles sadly and kindly protests but I insist and keep insisting until she takes it. She laughs when she eats it, "This is really good." I nod, "I'll order you one if you want." "Nono it's fine, maybe next time." She says. Mitch hears and cuts her half of his waffle, since he got the same thing as I did...copy cat. "Here babe, have some of mine." Her face slightly turns a bit red, "No Mitch I'm fine, really." He shakes his head, "No your not baby...you got a bowel of fruit.." She shrugs and turns her attention back to it. He wraps his arm around her waist and kisses her all over. I smile, their so cute. She laughs and when he's done, finally accepts his delicious waffle. Mitch keeps an eye on her thought, just in case she thinks of something that he doesn't want her thinking of because she really is a beautiful girl and shouldn't have to worry about body image at all.

We finish up our deserts and wait for the waitress to give us the bill. I tell the group more about myself and my hockey team...which I don't really want to talk about since I'm finally having a good time. I tell Will about the meeting when everyone breaks into their side conversations. He nods, "It'll be fine, I can drive you if you want." I smile, "Are you sure babe?" He kisses my head, "Anything for you." I kiss his cheek and rest my head on his shoulder until the bill comes. The waitress looks at us as if she recognizes who we are. "Hey, you guys look familiar..where have I seen you before..?" We all look at each other unsure of what to tell her. "Ohh, I know." She says and look at us weirdly. "You play form the Toronto maple leafs...don't you." The boys nod but don't say anything. "Ehh, I'm a montreal fan...and you must be Stephanie Lachance...right?" Steph nods slowly and Mitch slightly moves more towards her, resting a hand on her thigh. The waitress shrugs, "I hate fake bitches...and I know one when I see one." And with that she dramatically rolls her eyes. Steph looks shocked and so does everyone else. I sit up and slam my fist on the table, making everyone jump. "Umm Excuse me why are you trying to tell this beautiful girl who may I add, you don't even know, that she's fake...what did she do or say to you?" Now the waitress looks mad, "And who are you, thinking you have the right to talk to me like that." I give her a weird look, "I'm Sage Mcena...world star in the Canadian women's hockey league...does that ring a bell? And I'm not saying that since I'm clearly of higher class than you that I have power over you but you shouldn't be shaming women like that! No matter if their famous or not. My god!" I yell at her, not caring who hears and who doesn't.

The waitress quickly shuts up and gives us our bill. Stephanie smiles at me and comes around the table to give me a huge hug. "Thanks hun.." "Anytime girl, if someone ever does that again, call me up and I'll give em a piece of my mind." She smiles and sits beside Mitch again who also hugs and kisses her. I smile at them and Will wraps his arms around my waist, "Remind me never to mess with you." I giggle and lean into his chest.

We pay the bill and I argue with the guys not to leave that bitch a tip. We end up leaving right away and everyone  but Patty comes over to Mitch's condo. I guess he had plans for the night..or simply had to go home to his adorable kids which isn't an excuse at all. The boys play video games when we get home and me and Stephanie watch until they offer us a turn. "Steph, Say, you wanna play? You know you don't have to ask there's two controllers over there." Mitch says. I nod and grab them I hand one to Stephanie and connect them to the console.

I see Steph looking very unsure of what to do with the controller. "Hey Steph, you ok?" I ask with a smile on my face. She nods, "Yeah I don't know if I want to play..." "Come on girl, it's so fun! Once you get the hang of it, you won't be able to stop!" "You got that right!" William says looking at us. She shrugs, "I'll try." "Babe, you don't have to play if you don't want to." Mitch says, talking to her but focusing on the t.v. "Nono I'll give it a go." "That's my girl!" Mitch smiles and looks at her this time. She smiles as well and we're in the game. Mitch motions for Steph to sit beside him so he can show her the basics. She does, so I sit beside Will. We play squads or some shit and me and Will end up winning. "Yes babe!" I yell and we high five. "Let's gooo!" Willy screams. "Oh shut it, we were so close!" John says and him and Auston do a hand shake. Mitch explains the buttons on the controller to Stephanie and she looks confused as ever. We play another round and this time John and Auston win, me and Will come second, and Mitch and Steph....come really last but I'm glad he's being such a good sport about it and not giving up on her. Steph looks like she really doesn't wanna do this anymore so I offer to go chat with her in my room, away from all this.

We sit on my bed and face each other. "Hey...what's going on?" I ask gently. Steph shrugs, "Nothing much." I give her a look saying that I'm not convinced. She sighs, "I don't know Say...I really don't." I rest a hand on her knee, "You know you can talk to me about it hun." She nods, "Yeah..I just...I guess I'm just caught up in the whole body image stuff again...I don't know what's wrong with me." I nod and she continues, "Everyone here is fit, everyone works out, everyone has a great body...including you, do not say you don't." I shake my head, "Yeah but you have an amazing body Steph." She shrugs, "I don't have muscles like you..or any of the guys." "But why does that matter? You are you and so many people love you for that." I say, rubbing her knee, "Don't forget that." Tears form in her eyes, "Thank you love." I pull her into a huge and rub her back. "Anytime you need me, I'll always be here." "Your to sweet Sage, none of the others girls ever made me feel this amazing before." I smile, "That makes two of us." She looks confused for a second but after she thinks about it, she realizes what I mean. "It's okay hun, those girls are bitches. Your real family is right here."

We talk about everything until Willy knocks on the door and comes in. "You two alright?" He asks. We nod, "Yeah we're doing pretty great actually." I say and smile to Steph. He smiles to, "Good, just coming in to say good night..." "What, why...stay a little more." I whine. He chuckles and leans in for a kiss. "Baby, it's almost 12...and you got a meeting tomorrow, remember." I hug his torso, "But I don't want you to go." "I'll see you tomorrow babe okay?" I let him go, "Okay." He gives me one last kiss, waves to Stephanie and closes my door on his way out. "Well, I should probably go to, love but we can meet up anytime and text and stuff." Stephanie says, getting off my bed. I nod, "Yes and have another date with the girls." Steph smiles at the thought of them, "Yes we need to do that again!" We walk out of my room together and say bye to John and Auston who are already at the door, along with Will. I hug Steph one more time and she hugs Mitch to.

Once everyone's gone,  me and Mitch talk a bit but not for long since we both need some sleep. We say good night and head to bed.