Chapter 5

Mitch got home from practise and we just finished lunch. I still need to decide what i'm going to wear tonight. And that's not gonna be easy considering I haven't been to an event in such a long time and literally all I own is sweat pants and hoodies. "Hey Mitch?" "Mhmm." He says looking up from his phone. "Do we have to..you know...dress up to this dinner thing." I ask. "Well don't go over board but yea a little." I nod, "What are you gonna wear?" He shrugs, "Probably a suit why?" "I don't know what to wear...I don't really have any fancy clothes." Mitch laughs, "Sure you do! Go pick out something from your luggage that you think would be good at a party." I shurg couldn't hurt to try. I go to my bedroom and dump all my clothes on the floor. I cringe when I see my options. I sigh and pick out some adidas sweat pants with white strips going half way down the sides and a red champion hoodie. I show Mitch what I got and he just stares at it. "Umm...Say..you know this isn't a workout party right?" I sigh, "Well that's all I got!"

Suddenly Mitch's eyes light up, "I have an idea." He looks down at his phone and smiles. "Uh oh what are you doing?" I say, going back to my room to clean up my mess. "I'm gonna text Steph and see what she says, she's obviously better at this than both of us." He yells so I can hear him. I put everything in its place and head back to the living room. "That's actually not a bad idea." I smile. "Glad you think so cause she's on her way right now."

Stephanie knocks on the door and I answer it. "Hi! i'm Sage!" I greet her. "Oh my god I can't believe I finally get to meet you!" She gushes and pulls me into a hug. "Awe! i've been wanting to meet you for a while to!" We pull apart and I let her in the condo. She hugs Mitch and he explains why he invited her here. "Oooo can I see what you got?" She asks excitedly. I nod, "Yea of course but it's not much." I show her my clothes and she carefully goes through them. "Hmm...I think we need to go shopping..." She says with a smile on her face. I smile to and nod. "Is it okay if I call some of my friends who can help us." She asks, "They are gonna be at the party tonight, and trust me, your gonna love them." I nod, "Yeah go for it." Stephanie calls the girls and agrees to meet them at the mall. "Alright we're set, lets go!" Stephanie says. We go to her car and talk on the way. Turns out we have a lot in common. Steph is really sweet and nice. I can see why Mitch really likes her.

We get to the mall and meet the girls in front of Hudsons Bay. "Hey girls! This is Mitch's cousin Sage, She's gonna be at the party with us tonight and hopefully stick around for the season!" The ladies introduce themselves to me... "Hi i'm Patrick's wife Christina!" "Nice to meet you i'm Sydney, Matt's girlfriend!" "Hi i'm Ashley, Nazem's wife!" "Anddd I'm Lucy, Jake's wife!" I smile and nod as they all said their names and spouses. "Alrighty ladies which store do we wanna hit first?!" Steph asks. "How bout Le Chateau?" Sydney sujests. "Oh my god that's what I was going to say!" Ashley giggles. We all have a good laugh and take the elevator up to the first store.

"Sooo Sage." Lucy asks. I turn to her and smile, "Mhmm." "Do you play hockey as well?" I nod, "Yea actually I do...I play for the Toronto Bulls." Her eyes light up, "Wow hun, isn't that like the NHL?" I nod, "Yea pretty much I guess." She giggles, "Well I'm probably years late saying this but congrats sweetheart." I feel my heart explode. Wow, I haven't felt this loved in a while. "Thank you Lucy, I mean it." I smile. She wraps and arm around my shoulders and gives it a squeeze. "Your definitely part of the family now love." I feel the smile on my face grow even more.

We enter Le Chateau and look around. "What are you looking for girly?" Christina asks with a contagious smile. "I actually don't know." I say. All the girls turn and seem a bit shocked. I fiddle with the draw strings on my hoodie, "You guys, I haven't been shopping for fancy clothes in I don't know how long." "Well it's a good thing your Toronto sisters are here to help!" Stephanie says, hugging me. I hug back and suddenly the girls join in, forming a group hug in the middle of Le Chateau. "Thank you.. i've actually never had a sister..." I giggle. "Neither do we but were all really close so were like family." Lucy explains. I nod,"That's really special." There's a bit of a silence until Christina yells, "Okay...lets get shopping!" Everyone cheers and hits the clothing racks. This is really something special for me. Just the way complete strangers jumped in to help me and call me family. My real family was never this close and I don't have any siblings so it was always kinda hard. But now these girls are making me feel happy... also something I lacked growing up.

"Oh my god look at this steph!" Ashley gushes over a slim fitted solid black dress. "That's really cute, I'll show Say." Stephanie says taking the dress and bringing it over. "Ooooo." Lucy says and touches the fabric. "Would you be interested in something like this?" Steph asks me. I shrug, "I really don't know...I haven't worn a dress in so long." "Please try it on!" Lucy says. I giggle, "Okay fine.." "We'll be look for accessories!" "Thank you!" I call as I make my way to a fitting room. I strip and change into the dress. Woah, okay... I check myself out and pose in front of the mirror. Damn I'm really feeling myself. The girls knock on the door, "Hey Say! We found some cute shoes and jewelry!" Steph squels. "Ok cool!" I say and open the door. Both Steph and Lucy's jaw drop. "Woah hot mama!" Lucy wiggles her eyebrows. "Damn Sage, you look finee!" Stephanie smirks. "Ummm we wanna see!" Christina says and her along with the girls crowd the fitting room. "All cred goes to me!" Ashley jokes. I laugh, "No but really thanks Ash." "Call me up anytime girl, I got you!" She smiles. "Here try these on!" Steph holds up a pair of black flats with small studs in them." I nod and she places them on the floor for me to step into. The girls also hang a gold necklace around my neck and some gold pearl earrings.

"Damn who you trying to impress?!" Sydney says as a joke. My face turns red and the girls Ooooooo. "So there is someone...." Syd smirks. "Sage you can tell us..." Ashley smirks. "Erm...I don't know if I really like him though.." I mumble. "Your face says it all love." Lucy smiles. I nod, " I guess I sorta like him." "WHO?" All the girls tease. "Umm...William..." I say quietly. "Sorry hun who is it?" Lucy asks. "William nylander." I say again. They all shriek. "Oh my god you guys would be so cute together!" Stephanie gushes. "Imagine little Williams and Sages running around everywhere!" Christina giggles. "That would be sort of a mess." Ashley says, "But it would most certainly be ADORABLE!" The girls keep taking about what our kids would look like and all that stuff while I go back in the fitting room to change.

When I come out of the change room, everyone settled down and we go to the cashier and I pay for my dress, shoes and jewelry. Before me and Stephanie leave together, I exchange numbers with each of the girls. We wave goodbye even though I'll be seeing them in a few hours. What on earth did I do to deserve a loving family like this?

Longest chapter in the book..1396