Promises

You help out as everyone gets prepared to leave for the ambush in the next twenty minutes

You help out as everyone gets prepared to leave for the ambush in the next twenty minutes. You were helping weld more sheets of metal to Jorge's truck to block gunshots. You were trying to do as much as possible here because the guys weren't allowing you to go on the mission. They were worried something might happen to you, and they don't want to save Minho and lose you.

The thought both angers you, and scares you. You didn't want anything to happen to the guys, but you were also worried about Newt. What if you never see him again? Or if he gets hurt, and the others leave him behind? The thought scares you more than anything.

"Hey we got a few more sheets coming," one of the guards for the Right Arm tells you when he sees that you stopped welding while you were thinking. You snap out of your daze, and look over at him, nodding your head. He passes you two more sheets of metal, and you place them on the doors and hood of the truck, making it as bullet proof as possible.

The guard helps you down from the top of the truck, and you start walking away from everyone towards the hammock room for you to be alone for a minute. You were so scared that this might be the last time you saw Newt, but you didn't really want to think about it in all of the chaos.

You slip into the tent, sighing in relief at the sudden drop of noise. It just felt peaceful compared to all the noise and chatter out there. You sit down on your hammock, and place your feet on the ground off the side. You put your elbows on your knees, and rest your head in your hands, taking deep, calming breaths. You sit like that for a minute when someone walks into the tent, opening the flap, and letting in a quick breeze of air.

You look up out of your hands to see the exact boy your worried about. You don't look at him for too long before you put your head back in your hands. You hope he gets the hint that you don't really want to talk to anyone at the moment. Unfortunately he doesn't, and he walks over to you, sitting down on your hammock right next to you.

"Love what's wrong," he asks in a worried tone, putting a hand on your shoulder. You don't pull your face out of your hands, and he sighs. "(Y/n) please talk to me. I can't help if I don't know what's wrong," he says in a mildly desperate tone, worry still evident in his voice.

"Nothings wrong," you growl at him, clenching and unclenching your fists. It was an angry habit that you picked up in the glade, and unfortunately Newt was the only one who knew about it.

"Ya well this," he says, tapping your clenched fists with his finger, "tells me otherwise."

"Newt it's nothing ok! Just go get ready for the ambush," you shout at him, jumping up off the hammock and spinning around to face him. He looks taken aback by your tone, and the anger fades from your eyes almost immediately. You had never raised your voice or gotten upset with Newt, so this startled him. Your breathing heavy as you stare at his shocked face, mentally scolding yourself for shouting at him.

After a minute, you start walking to the exit of the tent, wanting to get away from him at the moment. Again, apparently he had different plans. Just as you were about to leave the tent, you feel someone grab your wrist, and spin you around towards them. You look up to see Newts frustrated expression.