Chapter 74

Grayson and I kept walking for hours and hours on end. My legs felt like they were going to give up at any moment but I had to keep going and every so often hoist Grayson around my shoulder as he was limping on one leg. It was already around 6pm and the sun was starting to set.

Just when I thought we were most likely sleeping hungry tonight Grayson started running.
"Grayson! What are you doing?" I ran after him and a couple 100 meters later he came to a quick stop.

We were at the edge of the woods and overlooking a farm and fields of corn, wheat and other plants. There was a small house and a big barn too.

I hid the gun in our backpack so it wouldn't scare whoever lived there

"Do you think they'll let us sleep there?" I asked Grayson and he just shrugged and made his way down the hill towards the small house beside a barn.

We got to the front door and I tried fixing my self up a bit to look more presentable.

Grayson knocked on the door and an old lady opened the door with a smile. Another old man that I assumed was her husband also came to the door .
"Hello, we were lost in the woods and wondering if you'd be so nice as to let us sleep here for the night. We're fine with the barn even." I said with a smile on my face. The last thing I wanted was to scare them into changing their mind.

"Of course darlings! My name is Julia and this is my husband Carl." Julia said and opened the door for us to come in.
Grayson and I mouthed her a thank you and sat down on the couch beside each other. The house was small and cozy and had a lot of old vintage furniture. A dog came running towards us, wagging its tail.
"I'm gonna make an amazing dinner for you people. We barely get guests anyways." She said and went to the kitchen.

Carl stayed quiet and studied us sitting across from him.
"What's y'all's names?" He asked breaking the silence.

"I'm Grayson and this is umm... my friend Sofia."

"Okay okay. How did y'all get stuck in the middle of no where? You don't look like y'all are from around here." He said suspiciously.

"Well umm." I nudged Grayson with my elbow to help me out.
"Yeah... our car broke down while we were driving to Oregon." Grayson said awkwardly.

"Ahh okay." He said scratching his beard.

"Okay dear! Dinners almost ready. Why don't you go clean off and I'll show our guests to the bathroom to wash up a bit." Julia said coming to the lounge area while taking her oven mits off.

She took us outside to the back where there was a sink and a small cubicle with a toilet in it.

"I'm sorry we don't have a shower but I can get you a bucket of water and some soap if you need to shower." Julia said.

"It's okay ma'am. This is more then enough." I said assuring her.

Grayson and I took turns washing up and then went back inside. The dining table had a lot of food on it and my stomach growled just smelling it. There was a roast duck, casserole, a garden salad and some soup.
"I tried to make with what we had." Julia said.
"This is amazing! Thank you!" I said and we all sat down.