chapter 1

Eleven Years Ago.

"Dad!" a sharp scream leaves my mouth when my eyes meet my bleeding left knee. I'm sitting in the dirt, in front of the swing, not too far from the back of the house.

After a moment of waiting, I see my father coming out of the house, looking around. His eyes land on me after a while and he does not waste time running towards me, a fret expression on his face.

"Hey, baby, what happened?" he asks softly as his large blue eyes examine my wound.

"I fell ... from ... the swing," I respond while sobbing.

"It's okay baby, we'll go inside and ask mommy to clean everything up for you, it's no big deal," he says.

He quickly takes me in his arms, and we go to our house painted white. We entered through the wide-open kitchen door and dad put me on the kitchen counter.

With a swift kiss on my left cheek, he steps in the living room, calls mom, then disappears outside, something he does a lot of nowadays, he disappears.

A few minutes later, Mom appears at the door leading to the living room. She looks distraught, as usual. I love my mother and her joyful self, but sometimes she has that sad face that she attempts to hide with a smile.

She approaches me and draws me in a tight warm hug. She always gives us tight hugs whenever we get hurt or sad, it is her way to show us that she cares about us and she makes me love her even more.

After a while, she pulls back, her gorgeous green eyes melting on my face and she says, "You have to be more careful, darling, it could have been worse," I nod quickly. When mom talks, you can do nothing but shake your head, always respect.

When she is sure that I understood what she said, she starts looking for the red emergency bag, which I dislike. When she catches it, she takes out the cotton and disinfectant and starts working on my knee. I squeak every time the cotton touches my skin and mom laughs a little.

After cleaning and disinfecting, she helps me sit on a wooden chair near the table and asks, "Do we prepare something that the majesty will want to eat?" a big smile hovers over her face, a face decorated with redness here and there.

I smile, showing my missing front teeth and ask, "What are you going to prepare, mommy?"

"What about..." she starts thinking, tapping her fingers on the counter. "Your favourite cake?" she says joyfully.

"Yes, yes, mum brownies," I answer happily.

"Okay, so let's get in. I'll ask your sister for help, two more pairs of hands are more useful than one," she says as she heads for the stairs. "Riley, you come downstairs, please!" Mom screams, her keen voice echoes throughout the whole house.

I hear my sister's footsteps and my smile widens, I like when we spend time between girls, there is nothing better.

Present day.

I'm compelled to open my eyes because of a piercing scream that comes from far away, a cry that was loud enough to get me out of my peaceful sleep. With a moan leaving my mouth, I try to adjust my eyes to the light that dominates the room.

After a moment of confusion, I lean on my elbows and understand that I'm in my bedroom and on my bed. I sigh and want to drift to sleep again.

Another cry brings me back to reality, a reality that I thought was a dream. I jump out of bed and run as fast as I can on the wooden corridor floor, my head aching with every step I take, but I push back the pain, as I do every time.