chapter 28

My aching head is resting against the white and black tiles of the bathroom wall. I'm sitting on the cold floor, my legs are stretched out in front of me. With half-open eyes, I glance at the children who are sleeping on a blue towel that I laid on the floor. I've tried my best to put them at ease.

It may be more than ten minutes that we're waiting in here. When I've called the police, the woman told me to hide, and I did. But, she also said that the cops are on their way, but I'm losing forbearance on waiting for them.

I've never felt so ailing in my whole life. My head is pounding as if someone had hit it against a wall, multiple times. My legs, god, I'm not feeling them anymore, I don't know what is happening but my legs are so numb. I want to throw up but nothing is getting out. I'm getting cold as well, but I'm sweating as if I just ran a marathon, and of course,I don't need to be a doctor to know that I'm having a fever.

I close my eyes and take deep breaths, trying to empty my mind.
I'm thankful that Eldon hasn't woken up since I've took them here. I did my best to not wake her up, so she doesn't need to know what is happening around her.

Fuck, I want to cry my eyes out, but unfortunately nothing is coming out, no tears, not even a single drop. My sorrow can be feel from the inside and it's eating me alive, and I'm not finding a way to get it out. What a hell of a night I'm having.

I thought that maybe everything would gradually get better, with Blake by my side, but of course, life isn't so easy. What I thought was quite a fairy tale. A fairy tale to which I clung to believe.

I huff, and discern that I'll never live peacefully. This is really my fate, I'm destined to live this way, to agonize and to go through atrocious situations. 
Through the last past years, I've always asked God, why me, what did I do to him? Though I still don't know why I'm so cursed.

A sob leaves my mouth, but my cheeks are dry, no tears are making their way out of my eyes. I realise that this is the first time that I want to cry so bad. Like, I want the tears to flow, to fall on the ground and spread my sadness, my anger, my frustration.

Suddenly, I hear a loud bang on the door of the bathroom, which causes me to open my eyes forcefully, though, I'm so feeble that I have trouble letting them open.

Another bang on the door echoes in the bathroom. Then to my surprise I hear a man says,
"It's the police, if you're in there, open the door, you have nothing to fear."

Weirdly, I'm not feeling anything, I should be happy, right?, I should be jumping with happiness, but, I don't feel anything, not even a slight emotion.

With another bang on the door, I stand up on my aching feet, but as I make a step forward, I fall to the ground, a groan leaves my mouth after my knees makes contact with the solid marble. After a moment I get up again, and grab whatever I can hold for support.

When I make it to the door, I unlock it and find more than five policemen and one woman in front of me. They barges in the room and one of them seizes me by the shoulders, preventing me from collapsing on the ground.

"Are you okay, can you walk?" Asks the policeman.

I merely look at him and faintly nod. He nods back and help me to walk out of the bathroom.

~°~

Currently we're in the living room, I'm sitting on the couch, the children are next to me and they're fully awake. A young woman is sitting in front of me, her pen in her hands. She's flipping the pages of her notebook, searching for a blank page I guess. My eyes wander around the room, there are a dozen of policeman in the house, they are walking around, trying to find something– someone.