1 The Magnificent Seven: Part 2

The next morning, there was news of a woman beating another woman to death outside of a retail store over a pair of shoes. Bobby decided to go ahead without us to question the suspect, and we joined him later.

When we got there, the store and sidewalk were lined with people watching. The police had set up caution tape around a car a little way down from the store. The murder didn't actually happen within the store, so Sam and Dean didn't have to put on a disguise, especially since Bobby already had that covered.

Dean went ahead into the store while Sam and I waited outside to see if the crowd was saying anything interesting.

Once we decided that everyone was just sharing rumors, we walked into the store, where we spotted Dean comforting a beautiful blonde woman.

"What happened outside makes you realize how fragile life really is. You got to make every second count." Dean cheesily consoled her.

The woman nodded.

Sam cleared his throat.

Dean looked over at us and then back at the woman. "Excuse me a minute, would you?"

"Sure." The woman nodded and left.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm comforting the bereaved. What are you doing?" Dean asked.

"Workin'. Dead body, possible demon attack... that kind of stuff," Sam said.

Dean coughed pathetically. "I'm sorry. It's just... I don't have much time left, and, uh..." He coughed more dramatically. "Gotta make every second count."

I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, right. Sorry." Sam sighed.

Dean smirked. "Apology accepted."

"Oh please, you were just trying to pick up that girl." I rolled my eyes. "If you aren't going to let us help you, you can't use it against us."

Dean laughed and patted my shoulder. "You're so sweet."

Bobby walked over to us, wearing a suit with his hair slicked back.

"Whoa." Dean whistled. "Looking spiffy, Bobby. What were you, a G-man?"

"Attorney for the DA's office. I just spoke to the suspect," Bobby said.

"Yeah? So, what do you think? Is she possessed or what?" Sam asked.

Bobby shook his head. "Don't think so. There's none of the usual signs... no blackouts, no loss of control. Totally lucid. Just, she really wanted those shoes. Spilled a glass of holy water on her just to be sure; nothing."

Dean shrugged. "Maybe she's just some random whack job."

"If it had been an isolated incident, maybe, but first the family, now this? I believe in a lot of things. Coincidence ain't one of them. Did you kids find anything around here?" Bobby asked.

Sam shook his head. "No sulfur, nothing."

"Well, maybe something." Dean nodded up to the security camera in the ceiling. "See? I'm working."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The four of us snuck into the security room, and Sam started playing back the footage while Dean leaned against the wall, daydreaming.

"Anything interesting?" Dean asked.

"I don't know yet. Might just be a guy..." Sam pointed to the screen. "Or it might be our guy."