6 Red Sky at Morning: Part 1

October 30th - November 3rd, 2007

Dean had been a little short with Sam for the past couple of days. I wasn't really sure why, but I figured it had something to do with Sam trying to get him out of the deal, and Dean just didn't want to hear about it anymore.

We were on our way to our next case, and the car had been silent until Dean cleared his throat.

"So, I've been waiting since Maple Springs. You got something to tell me?" he asked, looking over at Sam.

Uh oh, this has got to be good. I was finally going to figure out why he had been acting weird to Sam. The anticipation built as I waited for Sam to respond.

"It's not your birthday." Sam smirked.

Dean shook his head. "No."

"Happy Purim?" Sam laughed and then shrugged. "Dude, I don't know. I have no idea what you're talking about—"

Dean cut him off. "There's a bullet missing from the Colt. You want to tell me how that happened? I know it wasn't me." He looked at me in the rear-view mirror. "Wasn't you, was it?"

I shook my head.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, I figured. 'Cause you wouldn't do something like that." He glanced over at Sam. "So, unless you were shooting at some incredibly evil cans—"

Sam sighed. "Dean—"

"You went after her, didn't you?" Dean accused. "The crossroads demon. After I told you not to."

Sam shrugged. "Yeah, well—"

"You could have gotten yourself killed!" Dean shouted.

Sam shook his head. "I didn't."

"And you shot her," Dean said.

"She was a smartass!" Sam yelled.

Dean sighed. "So, what? Does that— Does that mean I'm out of my deal?"

"Don't you think I might have mentioned that little fact, Dean?" Sam asked. "No. Someone else holds the contract."

"Who?" Dean asked.

Sam shrugged. "She wouldn't say."

"Well, we should find out who. Of course, our best lead would be the crossroads demon. Oh, wait a minute..." Dean said sarcastically.

"That's not funny," Sam said.

"No, it's not! It was a stupid friggin' risk, and you shouldn't have done it," Dean scolded.

"I shouldn't have done it?" Sam asked, "You're my brother, Dean. And no matter what you do, I'm gonna try and save you. And I'm sure as hell not gonna apologize for it, all right?"

Dean was silent, and Sam shook his head in exasperation. I took a deep breath, happy that the conversation was over but angry because now saving Dean was going to be even harder.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sam and Dean acted as detectives to talk to the aunt of a young woman who had drowned in the shower. Since drowning in the shower isn't necessarily an ordinary thing, we knew something was strange about the incident.

However, as I waited in the car for them to return, a familiar face crossed the street right in front of me. One that I was not excited to see, so I ducked down before Bela saw me. Not that it would be super helpful with the car that we have. I peered over the seat to see if she had spotted the car, but when I did, she was standing next to Dean's window smiling at me.