9 Malleus Maleficarum: Part 1

January 6th - January 7th, 2008

I waited in the car while Sam and Dean spoke to the widower of Janet Dutton. Janet's teeth randomly fell out to the point that she choked on her own blood and teeth.

They emerged from the house after about twenty minutes. Sam pulled out a pouch of something and handed it to Dean. As Dean peered inside, he made a disgusted face and then gave the pouch back to Sam as they continued their way to the Impala.

Once they got in, Dean slammed his door. "I hate witches."

"It's a witch?" I asked, slightly excited.

Dean raised his eyebrow at me in the rear-view mirror. "What?"

I shrugged. "I don't know... they're a little cool."

Dean shook his head. "This isn't your Harry Potter crap."

I gasped. "Bite your tongue."

Dean looked over at Sam. "This is your fault, you know."

Sam chuckled and looked back at me. "He's right. Real witches are nothing like Harry Potter." He handed me the pouch. "It's a hex bag. Look inside."

I opened the pouch and looked inside to see small bones and teeth. "Ew," I said and handed it back.

"See?" Dean asked. "They're always spewing their bodily fluids everywhere."

Sam nodded. "Pretty much."

"It's creepy, ya know, it's downright unsanitary," Dean said.

Sam nodded. "Yeah, well, someone definitely had it out for Janet Dutton."

"Yeah, someone who snuck into that house and planted the bag." Dean shrugged. "So, what are we thinking? We're uh, looking for some old craggy Blair bitch in the woods."

Sam shook his head. "No, it could be anyone." He shrugged. "Neighbor, coworker, man, woman... that's the problem, Dean, they're human, they're like everyone else."

Dean rolled his eyes. "Great. How do we find 'em?"

"This wasn't random; someone in Janet Dutton's life had an ugly ax to grind. We find the motive..." Sam said.

Dean nodded. "We find the murderer."

"Yeah," Sam said.

Dean started the Impala and pulled away from the curb.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Since the victim's husband, Paul, was our only lead, Sam and Dean figured it would be best to stick around and keep an eye on him.

After the sun went down, Paul left the house, and we trailed him, but he only ended up getting some food from a drive-thru. So, we sat and continued watching until he opened his car door and collapsed to the ground.

We quickly got out of the car and ran to him.

Dean checked on Paul, who was choking, and yelled at Sam. "Check the car!"

Sam quickly searched the car for a hex bag while Paul continued to choke.

"Sam!" Dean yelled.

"Got it!" Sam shouted and then pulled a hex bag out of the car.

Dean pulled Paul up off of the pavement. "Come on."

Sam lit the bag on fire and dropped it to the ground. As it sparked, the flames turned blue and green. Paul recovered and leaned back against his car.