16 No Rest for the Wicked: Part 1

May 1st – May 2nd, 2008

I was jolted awake by the sound of someone panting heavily. I lifted my head up off of the research Dean and I had been doing to see Dean sitting next to me, looking terrified.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked, worried.

Dean snapped himself out of it. "What? Oh, nothing."

I put my hand on his. "Dean, seriously—"

Sam walked into the room. "Dig up anything good?"

Dean closed one of our books that had been opened to a page about hellhounds. "No." He cleared his throat. "Nothing good."

"Well, Bobby has. Finally." Sam smiled.

"Yeah?" Dean asked.

Sam nodded. "Yeah. A way to find Lilith."

"Oh. With just uh..." Dean looked at his watch. "Thirty hours to go." He smiled up at Sam. "Hey, why don't we just make a TJ-run, yeah? Ya know... some senoritas, cervezas, uh, we could..." He thought for a second. "What's Spanish for 'donkey show'?"

Sam chuckled. "So if we do save you... let's never do that."

"Yeah..." Dean looked down at our research, and Sam sat down next to me.

"Hey, Dean." Sam sighed. "Look, we're cutting it close, I know. But we're gonna get this done. I don't care what it takes, Dean. You're not gonna go to Hell. I'm not gonna let you." Dean looked up at him. "I swear. Everything's gonna be okay."

Dean studied Sam's face carefully and looked terrified for a moment, but then he nodded. "Yeah, okay."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we walked out into Bobby's living room, he had set up this weird device over a United States map. It had three wooden legs like a tripod and a long rod in the center with a point on the end. There was a crystal ball on top and a metal ring around the legs with some symbols carved into it.

"So, you need a name. That's the whole kit and caboodle. With the right name, right ritual, ain't nothing you can't suss out," Bobby explained when we joined him at the table.

"Like the town Lilith's in?" Sam asked.

Bobby chuckled. "Kid, when I get done, we'll know the street." He began reciting a ritual, and the pointed rod started swinging like a pendulum, and then it suddenly stopped. He leaned down and looked at the location it pointed to. "New Harmony, Indiana. And we have a winner."

"All right." Sam pushed the pointer away and looked at Bobby. "Let's go."

Dean shook his head. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. Just holster it up there, Tex."

"What's the problem?" Sam asked.

"What's the problem? Come on, where do I begin?" Dean asked. "I mean, first of all, we don't even know if Lilith holds my deal. We're going off of Bela's intel? Now when that bitch breathes, the air comes out crooked. Okay? Second, even if we could get to Lilith, we have no way to gank her. And third, isn't this the same Lilith that wants your giant head on a pike? Should I continue?"

"Ain't you just bringing down the room." Bobby scoffed.

Dean shrugged. "Yeah, well, it's a gift."

"I'm sorry, so then what are we supposed to do, Dean?" Sam asked.

"Just 'cause I gotta die doesn't mean you have to, okay? Either we go in smart, or we don't go in at all," Dean said.

"Okay, fine. If that's the case, I have the answer," Sam said.