16 No Rest for the Wicked: Part 4

After making our way downstairs, Dean and I guided the mother and daughter down to the basement. When we came back up, Dean angrily shook his head at Ruby and Sam's conversation.

"Okay, you win. What do I have to do?" Sam asked Ruby as we walked into the living room.

Ruby gave him a curious look. "What do you mean?"

"To save Dean," Sam said, "What do you need me to do?"

Dean grabbed Sam's shoulder. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Sam pulled free from Dean's grasp. "Just shut up for a second." Then he turned back to Ruby. "Ruby!"

Ruby shrugged. "You had your chance. You can't just flip a switch. We needed time."

"Well, there's gotta be something," Sam said desperately. "There's gotta be some way, whatever it is, I'll do it."

Dean grabbed Sam's shoulder again.

Sam jerked away and turned to him. "Don't, Dean! I'm not gonna let you go to Hell, Dean!"

"Yes, you are!" Dean shouted.

My heart sank, and I stared at him.

"Yes, you are." Dean looked at me. "You both are." He shook his head. "I'm sorry. I mean, this is all my fault. I know that." He looked back at Sam. "But what you're doing, it's not gonna save me. It's only gonna kill you."

Sam looked away for a second as tears built. "Then, what are we supposed to do?"

"Keep fighting. Take care of each other. Take care of my wheels. Remember what Dad taught you... okay?" Dean looked at both of us, tears in his own eyes.

Sam and I nodded.

Dean took a deep breath. "And remember what I taught you."

Suddenly, the grandfather clock in the corner of the room struck midnight. Dean jumped and looked over at the clock, trying to keep himself calm and hold back his tears.

"I'm sorry, Dean." Ruby shook her head. "I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy."

Dean's face fell. "Hellhound."

"Where?" Sam asked.

Dean pointed right beside us. "There."

There was nothing there, but the fear in Dean's eyes told me there really was. Dean began to run, so we all chased after him into another room and slammed the door shut behind us.

Dean pulled a bag of goofer dust out of his duffel and started pouring it in front of the doors as Sam, Ruby, and I pushed against them. The pounding suddenly stopped as the line was finished. He then bolted for the windows and started lining the windowsills.

"Give me the knife. Maybe I can fight it off," Ruby said to Sam.

Sam furrowed his brow. "What?"

"Come on!" Ruby shouted. "That dust won't last forever."

Sam pulled the knife out.

"Wait!" Dean shouted.

Ruby turned to Dean. "You wanna die?"

"Sam, that's not Ruby. It's not Ruby!" Dean shouted.

I stepped back, but Sam and I were flung up against the wall as soon as I did. Sam dropped the knife on impact, and then Ruby swung around and sent Dean flying into a table and pinned him down with an invisible force.

"How long you been in her?" Dean asked as he lifted his head up to look at her.

"Not long," Lilith said in an eerily sweet voice. She looked down at her new body and swayed around happily. "But I like it. It's all grown up and pretty."