11 Mystery Spot: Part 4

On the sidewalk, we walked past the barking dog.

"Dog," Sam said, annoyed.

Dean shook his head. "There's gotta be some way out of this."

"Where's my dang keys," Sam said as we approached Mr. Pickett.

"Where's my dang keys?" Mr. Pickett asked as he walked past us, searching his pockets.

"Excuse me," Sam said as we approached the blonde girl.

"Excuse me," she said as she collided with Dean.

"She's kinda cute." Dean chuckled and then put his hand out to stop us from walking. "Hey. All the times we've walked down this street, I ever do this?" He walked off after the girl.

Sam and I furrowed our brows and looked at each other. "No..." we said in unison.

We waited for Dean as he returned with a paper the girl had been handing out.

"A hundred Tuesdays, and you two never bothered to check what she was holding in her hands?" Dean asked as he walked up to us.

Sam shrugged, and I shook my head.

Dean held up a MISSING flyer with a picture of Dexter Hassleback on it. "That's the guy who went missing?"

Sam furrowed his brow. "Yeah?"

Dean pointed back to her. "That's his daughter back there."

Sam raised his eyebrows, took the flyer, and ran after the girl. "Ma'am?! Uh, Miss?!"

The dog growled and barked at Dean and me as Sam ran by.

"His bark is a lot bigger than his bite. He's actually really sweet." I smiled up at Dean.

Dean smiled back and looked down at the dog. "Hey, buddy! Somebody need a friend?"

He walked forward and leaned down to pet him, but the dog started growling more intensely as he did.

I cringed, now worried. "Okay, Dean, maybe you shouldn't—"

Dean put his hand out. "Good boy—"

Then the dog lunged forward and caught Dean around his neck. I jumped back and screamed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Since Sam believed that we finally had a lead, he figured explaining everything to Dean would just be a waste of time. So we kept waking up and doing as much research as we could before Dean died, and the cycle repeated itself.

We left for the diner again and sat in our usual spots. This time, Sam and I sat in front of his laptop while Dean ate his breakfast.

"So, the police report says Dexter Hasselback is a professor, but that's not all he is," Sam said as he viciously typed on his computer.

"What is he?" Dean asked.

"I talked to his daughter. Guy's quite the journalist. Columns in magazines, a blog," Sam said, "He writes about tourist attractions. Mystery spots, UFO crash sites... he gets his kicks debunking them. I mean, he's already put four of these places out of business. Here." He turned the laptop toward Dean.

"Dexter Hasselback, truth warrior?" Dean scoffed. "More like a pompous schmuck, you ask me."

Sam nodded. "Yeah, tell me about it. I mean, I've read everything the guy's ever written, and he must have weighed a ton. He was so full of himself."

"When'd you have time to do all this research?" Dean asked.

Sam ignored the question and started packing. "Come on."