5 Bedtime Stories: Part 1

"What are you talking about?" Sam asked.

I looked up. "What do you think happened back at Renee's house?"

Sam shook his head. "We really don't know. We just knew we had to get you out of there." He sighed. "I'm really sorry you had to see that."

I shrugged. "To be honest, the only thing I feel bad about is the man who died."

Dean furrowed his brow.

I sighed, and tears came to my eyes. "I ki—" I cleared my throat. "Killed him."

"What?" Sam looked shocked, and he shook his head. "What happened?"

"I told you that Renee had been acting weird," I said.

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

"After you dropped me off..." I sighed. "I really don't know what happened. She made me food, and she must've put something in it 'cause the next thing I knew... I woke up, tied to a chair."

Dean rubbed his face like he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"She told me that— that she knew Yellow-eyes, and she knew his real name was Azazel. She told me she was in love with him, but the only way she could draw him in was with me, 'cause he used to be like a father to me." I shook my head. "She told me that at the time, she didn't know Azazel was a demon, but he took care of me. She was happy with that 'cause she didn't want to, but after a while, she hated that I was taking the attention away from her. That's why she gave me to Dad 'cause it was either that or— or she was gonna kill me."

Dean stood up and started pacing.

"After she told me that... a demon showed up and killed her. That's who that man was," I explained.

"He was a demon?" Sam asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, that rug he was laying on had a devil's trap under it."

Sam shook his head. "I don't understand. Renee had a devil's trap in her house?"

I shook my head. "No, I put it there."

Sam furrowed his brow. "What? How—"

"Sam," Dean interrupted, "Let her explain."

"After the demon killed Renee, I cut myself free with my knife. I stabbed him in the neck and ran. I got away long enough to drop my grandmother's rosary in a fishbowl and splashed it on the demon when he came into the room. Then I ran upstairs and rushed to draw the devil's trap with a tube of lipstick. I covered it with a rug and then hid behind a bed." My throat started to tighten, thinking about the next part of the story. "When the demon was trapped... I exorcised it."

Sam and Dean gave each other a look, both of them stunned.

"I killed that man." I shrugged, tears now streaming down my cheeks.

Sam shook his head, his elbows on his knees, holding his hands together, with tears in his own eyes.

"No, this is my fault," Dean said, "I shouldn't have allowed you to come with us on any hunts or let you stay with that woman." He shook his head. "I knew that was a terrible idea. From now on, you're not leaving motel rooms. You're not going on any hunts."

"What? How is that the answer?" I asked.

"Maddison!" Dean yelled. "I'm not arguing about this. My job is to keep you safe, and I failed that."

I furrowed my brow, now angry. "But—"

"No! It's done. I'm done." Dean shook his head.

I stood up. "Don't you get it?! I probably wouldn't have known what to do if I didn't go on hunts with you guys." I shook my head. "I probably would be dead right now or worse."