12 Jus in Bello: Part 3

The plan was simple in essence, but actually doing it was the difficult part. We were going to let all of the demons in, trap them, and exorcise them all. Sam, Dean, and Henriksen would lure and fight off the demons in the police station. Nancy and Phil would escape outside and line all of the windows and doors with salt. I would be in the main office and would be in charge of running a recording of Sam reciting an exorcism over the loudspeaker. Again, saying it would be a lot easier than actually doing it.

After working on the loudspeaker, Sam walked out of the office to join me, Dean, and Ruby.

"Get the equipment to work?" Dean asked.

"Yeah." Sam nodded.

"So?" Dean asked.

"So, this is insane," Sam said.

Ruby scoffed. "You win Understatement of the Year."

Dean rolled his eyes. "Look, I get it, you think—"

"I don't think... I know," Ruby interrupted. "It's not gonna work." She stood up and turned to the front door. "So long."

"So, you're just gonna leave?" Sam asked.

Ruby swung around to face him. "Hey. I was gonna kill myself to help you win. I'm not gonna stand here and watch you lose." She walked closer to Sam. "And I'm disappointed because I tried. I really did, but clearly, I bet on the wrong horse." She glared at Sam. "Do you mind letting me out?"

Sam sighed and then walked over to use his knife and scrape a hole in the devil's trap, then he broke the salt line in front of the door.

We watched Ruby walk out, and then the boys turned to me.

"Go grab a salt bag and stay in the office." Dean put his hand on my shoulder. "Don't start the exorcism until I tell you to."

I nodded. "Okay." I turned and picked up a salt bag and started walking to the office.

"Oh, and Maddison," Dean said.

I stopped and turned. "Yeah?"

"This doesn't work if you leave that room. So, you don't leave that room, even if something happens to me or Sam. Understand?" Dean asked.

I furrowed my brow, thinking about the possibility of that scared me.

"Maddison?" Dean asked again.

I nodded slowly. "I understand."

"Good. Now get in there." Dean pointed to the office.

I turned and walked in, closing the door behind me. The office walls were mostly windows, but I wasn't sure if I was happy about that or not because I would be able to see everything, good or bad.

Nancy and Phil picked up the other salt bags and set off to make their way to the roof.

I quickly lined any entrance into the office with salt, and then I sat and waited by my equipment.

"All set?!" Dean yelled.

"Yeah!" Sam nodded.

"Ready!" Henriksen shouted.

Dean looked back at me.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. "All set!"

Dean nodded. "Let's do this."

Sam, Dean, and Henriksen got to work breaking all of the salt lines and devil's traps. Then Henriksen threw open an outside door, but nothing happened. Until a demon swung down from the doorway and kicked Henriksen in the chest.