5 Bedtime Stories: Part 3

We walked down the hall until we came across Callie's room. A doctor was sitting by her side, reading a book of fairy tales to her.

"'And the huntsman stepped inside, and in the bed, lay the wolf. So, the huntsman took a pair of scissors and cut open the wolf's belly,'" the doctor, who I could only assume was Dr. Garrison, read.

Callie looked exactly like the young girl we saw in that house. She was just older, closer to Sam or Dean's age. She was still beautiful with long black hair and pale skin.

Dr. Garrison stopped reading once he noticed us standing there and put the book down.

He walked over to us and cleared his throat. "Detectives. Can I help you?" He looked down at me curiously and then back up at Sam and Dean.

"We stopped by on our day off and just... heard that Callie is your daughter," Dean said.

"And we wanted to say how very sorry we are," Sam said.

Dr. Garrison nodded. "Well, uh. Thank you." He walked past us and started down the hallway. "If you'll excuse me."

"Oh, heading this way? We'll walk with you," Dean said as we all turned with Dr. Garrison. "How long's Callie been like that?"

Sam cleared his throat. "We don't mean to intrude. We can't possibly understand how hard it must be for you seeing her like this."

Dr. Garrison sighed. "It's not easy. She's uh, been here since she was eight-years-old."

"That's when she was poisoned?" Sam asked.

Dr. Garrison nodded. "Yeah. Swallowed, uh, bleach. Never figured out how she got her hands on the bottle. My wife found her, uh, brought her to the ER here, and I was on call."

"Your wife was, uh, was that Callie's stepmother?" Dean asked.

Dr. Garrison suddenly stopped walking and looked at Dean. "Actually, yes. How'd you know that?"

Dean shrugged. "Lucky guess."

"Well, Julie was the only mother that, uh, Callie ever knew. My wife passed away last year and, uh... it's just my daughter and me now." Dr. Garrison sighed. "She's all I've got left." He looked away sadly. "Um, excuse me. I've gotta get back to work."

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

Dr. Garrison nodded and walked away. We let him make some distance between us, and then we started walking back toward the front door.

"Well, you're right. It's Snow White in spades," Dean said.

Sam nodded. "Yup. Stepmom poisons the girl, puts her into a deep sleep. What's the motive you think?"

Dean shrugged. "Could be like Mischa Barton."

Sam looked at Dean, confused.

"'Sixth Sense' not 'The OC,'" Dean said.

"What?" Sam asked, looking even more confused.

Dean shrugged. "Hey, you know fairy tales, I know movies. She played the pasty ghost."

I nodded. "Oh yeah. Her mom made her sick on purpose just so people would feel bad for her."

Sam smirked at me. "Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, uh... Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy." He shrugged. "Huh, could be."

"So, say all these years, Callie's been suffering silently because nobody knows the truth about what mommy dearest did," Dean said.

"And after all this time, her spirit just gets angrier and angrier, until it finally just starts lashing out," Sam said.