Chap 12; An innocent

"Were the people that she valued the most"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

⚠️ light violence and mentions of blood and bruises ⚠️

"I just don't understand why you never learn?!"

Everything had gone great.

Two weeks had passed faster than anyone could've imagined, lesson after lesson passing by. The practice tournament went by easily and Maryann won the whole thing. Everyday she spent training for the real tournament, and every day she felt more and more ready to win it. No matter how much the training exhausted her, both magically and physically, she didn't mind doing it. Maryann didn't realize how scared she was for the fortnight to end until it really did. Three days before the tournament would begin, Friday evening.

With her hands shaking and expression dark, Maryann remembers kneeling in front of her mentors. She was out of trouble right? She had had no tests over the two weeks and nothing they could blame her on. Maryann had barely spoken unless absolutely necessary, always worn her traditional clothes correctly and never acted inappropriately. She had done everything that the clan wanted her to do, and that was only one thing. Work hard.

She was now stronger than ever, adrenaline pumping through her veins at the mere thought of getting to fight. She pitied the ones who would have to fight against her in the tournament first.

But no matter how strong she felt herself to be, no matter how many spells she mastered, Maryann was still weak in front of her new mentors. Because there was one thing keeping her from using the powers that she had on them, and that was their senior status. With a click of their fingers Maryann could have her life ruined. So even if she could hypothetically be stronger than them, there was no way that power would protect her in this situation. Laying on the floor, bruises blossoming on the faded old ones.

"I just don't understand why you never learn?!"

Maryann had done absolutely everything that they had asked for, and nothing other than that. She had followed all the rules and done all the things that she needed to do, no matter how exhausted she became. Yet that didn't matter. It had never mattered to her mentors or seniors. All that mattered to them was seeing their juniors suffer beneath them, making sure that they never outgrow them. Stomping on them, never giving them an opportunity to shine.

Maryann's breathing was uneven, her heartbeat loud and her hands cold. It felt just like it had before, the same hits and kicks and menacing words. The only thing that was different was the presence of her three moons.

"You have to fight back!"

Because Maryann was too scared to push them back again, too frightened that she'd loose them. Maybe then she wouldn't be lucky enough to get them back like last time. So here they were, all three of them holding out and in pain just like she was. Even though the pain was lesser when being a Moon than when being the main body, it was still there and it was the moons first time. They were pushed back last time and now they were seeing what she had gone through first hand.

So naturally Violet was angry and violent, wanting nothing more than to kill the ones who hurt Maryann. Violet had never cared about the clan, and always saw the laws and rules as unjust and unfair. She often told Maryann that there was something that the clan was hiding from her, something that didn't make sense. Whatever it was, Violet was convinced that the clan was not good for them.