Chap 26; The witches

"All these things symbolized her life,"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

"I bet she's just here because of 'you know who'"

"Yeah, or just because she's a Moonwitch. I don't get how cocky they all are, thinkin' they're better than us normal witches"

"Right! They just walk around, completely silent like they're too powerful to even talk to us! Have they forgotten that we are their ancestors? I can't believe they just put a nobody in charge of our witch team"

Maryann chuckles as she listens in to the two witches, her unusually good hearing coming to good use. It is honestly amusing how little the witches know of her culture and her people. Moonwitches are not cocky because they are quiet. Silence is apart of them, it their history and way of life. The Moonwitches of the past, as mentioned before, couldn't even speak at all. Maryann knows that deep inside the witches are just jealous of the Moonwitches special connection with the goddess.

It's a exceptionally cold day for some reason, two weeks after Maryann arrived at the rebellion. Her wounds have healed and her powers are recharged, ready to take on any challenge. She wanted to immediately get to work, the journey of hunting down Moonwitch clans being more complicated than what most think. Maryann knows that, because she has recently left one of the Moonwitch clans. The most powerful and abusive one at that. And she's slowly realizing how very wrong her clan was, all while coming to terms with her new life.

Today is her first day on the job, and Ari wants everyone to see how powerful she really is. That is because if they respect her, teamwork will be much easier. Right now most of the witches hate her, but that's about to change. Ari asked her if she was uncomfortable by all the rebellions witches watching her showcase her skills, and Maryann simply laughed.

To think that it's only been a few weeks since the tournament. Maryann has fought against her own classmates for years now, usually in front of a crowd of thousands. They were like caged animals, fighting for the entertainment of the humans. So in a way Maryann doesn't feel as much pity for the humans as Cassy or Vivy does. Deep inside she still holds grudges over how narrow minded they can be.

But she didn't expect dozens of vampires, shifters and demons to watch her showcase her skills too. Now she's standing in the training arena, surrounded by about 100 or 200 people. Two of them are her mates, whom begged Maryann to let her take them with her. Of course she allowed them to watch. She honestly doesn't care if the whole world watches her, as she has gone through way worse public appearances than that.

The people are already seated, waiting for Ari to announce what is going to happen. Maryann can hear their whispers, most of them negative. Most people would be crushed to find out that the public only saw them as a weakling that got the job through their connections. But Maryann doesn't even understand that it's a bad thing. Back at her old clan they often held matches like these, showcases of skills in front of hundreds of members of the clan. Negative whispers and harsh words were often inflicted upon the fighters, it was a usual thing. It had happened to Maryann more than once.

"Alright!"
Ari's voice booms through the small arena, the witches and other supernaturals stopping their chatter. He looks around for a short while, before speaking up.